Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Bicycle Motor > Motorized Bicycle Trouble Shooting

Motorized Bicycle Trouble Shooting Use this area to post problems that may arise, if you could use some help in figuring out what is wrong with your engine and what needs to be done to achieve top performance.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:50 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Default Re: So your HT won't start, well let's take a look

i am new to this site and didnt thinkit would matter i need all of the help ican get at this point i thought that was the point of this site,one biker helping another!!! thanks for your additive!!!
Old 06-14-2015, 08:48 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Default Your Engine Won't Start? Replace the cheap factory plug with an NGK B6HS. Do it NOW!

I spent three hours trying to get my just-completed Chinese 2-stroke bike to start.
It had fuel and compression. The spark was very weak, but there was a spark. All I could get it to do was to "pop" every now and then with furious pedaling.

Out of desperation I read through some posts and went out and bought an NGK B6HS plug at my local O'Reilly's Auto Parts store.

I installed the new plug, cranked the bike down the driveway and it started up and ran perfectly.

LESSON LEARNED. THROW AWAY THE FACTORY SPARK PLUG AND BUY AN NGK B6HS.

If the B6HS runs too cold (carbon deposits or dark electrode insulator) use a slightly hotter NGK B5HS instead.
If the B6HS runs too hot (electrode insulator is white, not tan, after hard running) use a slightly colder NGK B7HS plug.

Use which ever plug gives you a light tan colored electrode insulator when run hard.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:32 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: So your HT bicycle engine won't start, well let's take a look

Yup... a good plug and gapped properly makes all the difference...
These engines like a tight gap like .024 to .026" ... if it's hard to start or becomes hard to start, closing the gap a little usually helps.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:51 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

I have a brand new motor got it all hooked up have fuel in carb have an alright spark I guess the best I would get and I have great compression I can push it up my driveway and ride it down popping the clutch pulling throttle and it will not start what so ever I just went and bought and ngk b6hs spark plug and still nothing I don't know if I'm not getting enough fuel in the cylinder or not the plug smells like fuel but I not wet when I pull it out so is that my problem and how do I fix it if so the carb seems to be getting fuel please help
Old 11-06-2015, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgd1127 View Post
I have a brand new motor got it all hooked up have fuel in carb have an alright spark I guess the best I would get and I have great compression I can push it up my driveway and ride it down popping the clutch pulling throttle and it will not start what so ever I just went and bought and ngk b6hs spark plug and still nothing I don't know if I'm not getting enough fuel in the cylinder or not the plug smells like fuel but I not wet when I pull it out so is that my problem and how do I fix it if so the carb seems to be getting fuel please help
Did you follow the troubleshooting guide I posted for you in your other thread?
What did you find when you went through the steps to determine what was right/wrong?

Tom
Old 11-06-2015, 09:07 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Well I went through checked for spark I had a weaker spark so I changed the plug with an ngk b6hs spark plug and the spark is better I pulled the drain screw on carb bowl plenty of fuel flowed out and has plenty of compression it has resistance when I push it engine brakes when I release clutch I pulled the spark plug it smell like fuel but is not wet idk I it should be wet or not the cylinder smells like fuel I checked the timing that looked ok I checked cdi I got a reading of 40 to 50 on black and blue wire and around same on spark plug wire to blue wire so idk if the cdi is bad but it wouldnt have a spark would it so I really dont know what else to check
Old 11-07-2015, 06:01 AM
Godfather of Motorized Bicycles

Did you read my post in your thread?
Do it, do it now.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:11 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Default Dumpster find won't run

Hello all. I pulled a 80cc 26" mountain bike out of my apartments dumpster. i have no idea what happened to it but i tried to get it running. I got new spark plug, drained tank, new fuel mix, new fuel filter and line, checked all the wiring and nothing. so i tore down the whole kit and everything looks fine. re-assembled the whole thing and got 2 or 3 pops out of it (after riding around for 15 minutes) and nothing since. cylinder moves freely, has compression, getting fuel, spark is very weak ( light purple to white). i tested the CDI and got really weird ranges. i cant test Magneto since i have a the 2 wire model ( black wire is soldered to coil and to frame). i don't want to dump a bunch into it. any help will be great.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:46 AM

I'm mostly know Briggs engine, but still similarly a work woodruff key or other parts on the two stroke engines that the magnet and coil if are slight worn offset timing and you may have that symptom. See the beginning of this thread and also others would probably chime in. Note under compression spark needs more voltage. There are spark testers that I never invested in. But I see them for under 10 bucks at auto supply shops.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:01 AM

you need to read the steps in the motor won't start list

meters can't test CDIs, but can test mags of any type

both are probably good though if you have spark