2010 Specialized HardRock

GoldenMotor.com

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Re: 2010 HardRock

looking good Dave. Is your rear sprocket free-wheeling?
The drive sprocket for the motor is not free-wheeling. It is bolted up to the wheel using King's hat adapter...btw someone show me a pic of that adapter actually working?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

That's really nice looking bike. Where did you get it?

Could you run a jack shaft to the peddle side, and then keep the rear disk?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

That's really nice looking bike. Where did you get it?

Could you run a jack shaft to the peddle side, and then keep the rear disk?
I got it at Oro Valley Bicycles in Tucson. It was on clearance plus I got 15% off which made it almost 50% off.

Yes I could run a shifter kit but I cannot afford one. Maybe down the road at some other time.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

This is one of the first Mountain Bike based bikes I've seen that I like the looks of, not that there's not others that look good, I'm just no experience.

Now I'll start looking in that direction.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

I got another question please. Can you use the rear disk hub to mount the drive sprocket?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

I got another question please. Can you use the rear disk hub to mount the drive sprocket?
It depends on the sprocket, some have centers that are too big. Some all you need to do is re-drill new holes. There are adapters that will bolt right up to your wheel and sprocket. We have a few at Freedom and if I knew the hat adapter was not going to work I would have went that route.

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

My fuel savings........

Driving my truck back and forth to work I was spending about $30-35 a week. With my MB I am spending just over $3.00 for a week and half of travel to and from work.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

My fuel savings........

Driving my truck back and forth to work I was spending about $30-35 a week. With my MB I am spending just over $3.00 for a week and half of travel to and from work.
And that's probably not even considering the cost of insurance, and registration.....

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

I went to buy my usual Schwinn speedo but they were out, so I got a Bell one instead. Works great but every now and then when I first fire up the motor it resets itself.

Once the motor is running it does fine, but it is a pain to re-program every time.
Added some wire loom over the wire for the speedo and as of yet not once have I had to re-program the speedo.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Added some wire loom over the wire for the speedo and as of yet not once have I had to re-program the speedo.
I was wondering if that would work!!! Uber cool Dave. TY. Gonna go try it. Would have to and makes perfect sense. Interrupt the field and shield.

.flg.

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA

nice bike! i love mountain bike builds:).. if you are looking for a better sized bike that will also fit your motor.. try http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/se/stout.htm you can pic your frame size.. 19 or 21 will fit a stock kit easy!

this is the bike i bought and iv never been happier spending $400.(now 350). i got the 19 inch frame. you can look at my pis to see how it fits. im 6`2 and the bike is comfortable.

its a bike built for dirt track racing buy one of the best bike makes out there. its a 29er built for speed and to take a beating at the same time. on top of that it looks sharp if you ask me.

i doubt your looking to go out and buy a new bike. but its just something to look into sometime down the road. or for anyone reading this thread looking for a sweet bike.

also i found this http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/deadeye.htm
its alot like the stout with a few minor differences and more colors.

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

I was wondering if that would work!!! Uber cool Dave. TY. Gonna go try it. Would have to and makes perfect sense. Interrupt the field and shield.

.flg.
So far so good, I bought a roll of wire loom at Harbor freight for like $3.00. If your brave enough you could un-do the wire and use a brake or clutch cable shielding for better looks. But you know me I want go not show.

Attachments

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

nice bike! i love mountain bike builds:).. if you are looking for a better sized bike that will also fit your motor.. try Mountain Bikes - 29er SingleSpeed - SE Racing Stout you can pic your frame size.. 19 or 21 will fit a stock kit easy!

this is the bike i bought and iv never been happier spending $400.(now 350). i got the 19 inch frame. you can look at my pis to see how it fits. im 6`2 and the bike is comfortable.

its a bike built for dirt track racing buy one of the best bike makes out there. its a 29er built for speed and to take a beating at the same time. on top of that it looks sharp if you ask me.

i doubt your looking to go out and buy a new bike. but its just something to look into sometime down the road. or for anyone reading this thread looking for a sweet bike.

also i found this Mountain Bikes - 29er SingleSpeed - Dawes Deadeye
its alot like the stout with a few minor differences and more colors.
Thanks Earl, great info...

The last new bike I purchased was back in 2004, I have no plans to purchase another new one for many years to come.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

Had a small problem with my front disc brake.

I would stop at one stop light with plenty of front brakes, get to the next stop light and no front brakes.

It was not like I lost front brakes little by little, one minute I had them, the next I did not.

What I found was the pad adjuster for some odd reason would back out so far the pad would not even touch the disc. How this would happen from one stop light to another I still do not understand.

I took the caliper completely apart and inspected it. Without finding anything wrong I locktite the adjuster screw and re-assembled.

Been about a week and so far the problem has not come back to haunt me with no front brakes.

Attachments

ohjasony

Apr 2, 2011
California

Hey, Nice bike. I just got the same bike today but it is a 17.5" frame. What frame size is your bike? I don't know if a motor will fit in my 17.5". thanks

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

The IRC tires I am using, so far traction is great.
The IRC Advantage Pro rear tire already has dry rot cracks all over the sidewalls. But the front is fine and does not? What horrible rotten tires IRC is.

I have run both 40psi and 65psi and traction feels much better at 40 especially on the front under heavy braking and cornering.

Attachments

Last edited: