Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Bicycle Motor > Motorized Bicycle Trouble Shooting

Motorized Bicycle Trouble Shooting Use this area to post problems that may arise, if you could use some help in figuring out what is wrong with your engine and what needs to be done to achieve top performance.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:28 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: running rich or lean??

Quote:
Originally Posted by isthisreal1991 View Post
haha i still cant find out how to post... but um yea so my plug is always covered in oil i dont know if im confident enough to take a part the carb to mess with the needle and also i have the upgraded carb for the 66/80 cc with no primer just one screw on one side which i belive is idle and 2 really small scres on the other side and i dont know how to tinker with them ... after 4 min of running if i WOT it boggs i can do about 60% throttle on flat ground
When I was 6 years old my daddy told me "if you can take it apart, you'll remember how it goes back together". I've been taking things apart and putting them back together ever since.

You don't have to take the whole carb apart to adjust the needle, Just unscrew the top where your cable goes in and pull the throttle slide out. You'll see the needle hanging out the bottom of the throttle slide. Just pull up the spring and the needle will come right out along with a little slotted disk that goes on top of the needle to hold it down in the slide. Pull the clip off the needle with a pair of pliers and move to the top most notch closest to the dull end of the needle. Put it all back together and try that.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isthisreal1991 View Post
haha i still cant find out how to post... but um yea so my plug is always covered in oil i dont know if im confident enough to take a part the carb to mess with the needle...
Digital cameras and/or camera phones are great when it comes to working in 'new territory'. Take a pic, take something apart, and repeat until you get to what you're after. Reassemble by following the pics in reverse. Just have a clean, clear area you can lay the parts out on as you go.

For this though, go with Maxvision's advise, it's really not that tricky. Just don't drop the e-clip, they love playing hide-and-seek if they get a chance.

-=-

Any day that starts with a good ride is already a better day, and a bad day riding still beats a good day working.

My Builds: My Beast, Harley59's bike, my Cruiser
Old 11-14-2011, 11:52 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

You guys are awesome thank you very much I am getting more aquinted with this forum now and managed a post haha
Old 11-18-2011, 03:06 PM
Old, Fat, and still faster than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTripps View Post
Digital cameras and/or camera phones are great when it comes to working in 'new territory'. Take a pic, take something apart, and repeat until you get to what you're after. Reassemble by following the pics in reverse. Just have a clean, clear area you can lay the parts out on as you go.

For this though, go with Maxvision's advise, it's really not that tricky. Just don't drop the e-clip, they love playing hide-and-seek if they get a chance.
E-clips also known as "Jesus clips" to us old timers...as in "JESUS!, where did that clip fly off to?"
Old 11-19-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac57 View Post
E-clips also known as "Jesus clips" to us old timers...as in "JESUS!, where did that clip fly off to?"
JEZUS, good thing I can get another clip at Home Depot instead of having to have one sent all the way from China.

Small pair of vice grips will help prevent that. If you only have a cheap one you can sharpen the grip end so it will get a good bite on the clip.

JEZUS, be careful not to bend the brass needle while taking the clip off or putting it back on.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:12 PM

For the original poster, as someone has already noted, at WOT (Wide Open Throttle) the man jet is responsible for the mix, the needle controls the mix in the mid throttle region. If you are looking to effect the way your bike runs at WOT you would need to either adjust the main jet size, or adjust the air flow by tuning the muffler and/or air filter.
One thing I haven't seen mentioned here, if your carb is not mounted level you might benefit from doing a little float adjustment. Sometimes when a carb leans in toward the motor it can make it run rich, adjusting the float to maintain a LOWER fuel level in the bowl may help lean out your mix a bit and give you a bit more power at WOT.
For the newbie that is reluctant to take apart his carb and tune it... You're gonna have to take it apart sooner than later just to clean it, so might as well bite the bullet and dig in! There aren't many parts inside and it's not that complicated (to assemble at least, understanding how it actually works is another thing). Just make sure you work on a clean workspace and keep track of the few small parts from inside. Taking pictures with a digital camera as you rip things apart is also a good suggestion also....
This is a hands on hobby, these Chinese motors are not particularly reliable, if you don't know how to work on them you probably wont be riding long... When I first started out I read someone here say you should have desire to dig in and work on your bike, if you don't have that desire then you should probably just buy a scooter. I didn't understand at the time, but now I do. If you don't enjoy wrenching on your bike this is gonna be a miserable experience for you, if you just want cheap fuel efficient transportation then a scooter is more appropriate....
I'm not trying to say anyone here should go the scooter route, just trying to say that wrenching is REQUIRED on a home made MB, but not on a scooter. If you ride a motorized bicycle get used to wrenching, embrace it! LOL

PS I don't recall seeing noted what kind of carb you guys are running, that makes a big diffrence as the NT or Speed carb only has one jet while the CNS carb has three....
Old 08-10-2013, 07:33 AM

i think i am running my bike to rich, it doesnt start up, what should i do?
Old 08-10-2013, 10:46 AM

too rich shouldn't keep it from starting unless you mean too much oil in the fuel
Old 08-10-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorized kodiak View Post
i think i am running my bike to rich, it doesnt start up, what should i do?
Pull your spark plug, turn over the motor a few times with the plug out (make sure you do not have flame or spark near the plug hole to ignite any gas that may come out). Dry out/clean your spark plug or preferably install a new plug. Hopefully your motor will start, if it does then make sure you turn off the fuel valve when the motor is not running.

If it is actually running too rich then my first stop would be to make a float adjustment. Bend the tab on the float so the needle valve closes with the float LOWER in the bowl (so the carb will hold LESS fuel in the bowl). This tends to lean out the mix. If still too rich you would have to either adjust the air flow (air filter and/or muffler) to allow air to flow easier, or change your jet to a smaller size....
Old 11-21-2016, 03:54 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Thanks guys I figured it out =p