Indian BTR build advice

GoldenMotor.com

67 rider

Sep 13, 2016
Iowa
Would like some information on building Vintage Indian BTR. Looks like Sportsman Flyer loop frame would be a good bet and his gas tank. Looked at a front fork from Bike Berry but not sure about their reputation and service ! Not looking for cheap parts but the most realistic that I can get.
Suggestions.
Frame, tank, fork , engine, wheels and tires , seat, etc.
Built a couple of airplanes and have a good shop , lathe , mill , etc
Love these old board track racers , the guy that built yellow Cyclone racer was a real inspiration Great Job ! Any help with best route to take is appreciated .
Looks like a lot of talented people here.

Thanks, Scott

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Welcome Scott, The Sportsman frame is a good start, & all the parts you mentioned: tank, saddle, forks etc. are period correct. As far as engines are concerned what do you have in mind? Big engine like a V-twin or a single with integrated transmission will absolutely dictate that the frame be modified & stretched, but if you stick to the Honda/clone singles you are in business. Wheels again depend on engine selection and how you ride. If you intend on highway speeds 21" Honda small motorcycle wheels, brakes & speed rated tires are a good bet. Call Pat at Sportsman & he will fill you in all frame sizes available.

After I finish my current Harley Peashooter I plan on building a V twin 5 speed so I've put some time in researching parts already & Sportsman parts figure in both builds. Looking forward to seeing what you decide to build...the Cyclone is a beauty & kinda begs for a V-twin! Rick C.

67 rider

Sep 13, 2016
Iowa
Indian 22 ,
As far as an engine I have a Briggs v-twin I might use , also I hear about the 79 cc OHC from Harbor Fright, but going to try and use the v-twin. As far as riding this bike It will not be ridden much. Do you know if that Company in Argentina is still building replicas ? I would like to build one all original but found out near impossible because of parts . Thanks a lot for your input.
Hope to build something special. Love the BTR.

Thanks again,

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Scott the Argentine company is Comeback Motors & was still in business during 2015. I haven't kept in contact but one of our great forum members Fast Eddie said his son was going to do some work there & expressed interest in looking the company up...if memory serves me. Great looking replicas for sure!! I used to do a lot of business in Argentina back in the 70's and 80's....duties & tariffs might be pretty steep coming back this way?

Briggs Vanguard is good motor but does require some space and support. Used extensively in the Cushman scooters...sound & run great one of my buddies had one...75 mph + through a CVT on tiny wheels! I didn't say he was sane, but a friend. Rick C.