Finally, a good seat.

GoldenMotor.com

Big G

Jun 25, 2014
Palmdale CA
I don't know about you but a bicycle seat just doesn't get it when you're going down the street at 35 or 40 mph. I don't want my back side hanging out over the rear tire. I want to get down in and have better control. I looked every where for such a seat for my 29er and couldn't find anything but solo motorcycle seats that would require a lot of modification to my bike. I made a fiberglass seat pan in the shape of a bicycle seat but its 15 inces long and 10 inches wide at it's widest point. I padded it with foam rubber to about 3 inches, covered it with a nice hand stiched marine vinyl and used a large seat mounting and springs. I just tested it and it is great.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Sounds good, Big G. Got any photos of your seat to share with us?

I'm with you too. Bicycle seats just don't cut it if you want comfort.

Tom

Last edited:

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
Seriously right? Having the same problem. I wished I could find a seat for my mountain bike with springs, but I need something longer.

Really don't want a full on banana seat, plus they aren't sprung.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I applaud your "can do" DIY attitude Big G & only wish there was a pic of your craftsmanship - hope ya don't mind the following suggestion for others unable or unwilling to build their own however...

Pretty sure this is the same seat a friend has, if so it's truly huge, far bigger than it's 13" wide would seem from it's pic. The only reason I've not gotten such for myself is I ride a ...touch too enthusiastically to be so encumbered. It'd be prolly perfect for a comfy cruiser ridden less chaotically then my commuter lol :p

An idea of scale can be gotten from the springs underneath - they're no smaller or spaced differently then others, yet they're almost hidden here;

http://www.worksmancycles.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/seat.html
or: http://www.amazon.com/Worksman-Extra-Comfort-Saddle-13-Inch/dp/B0018CD0JC/
& ebay has 'em for less ofc ;)

Last edited:

tmonstar1

Sep 26, 2014
nashville
I always thought banana seats reminded me of pink barbie bikes with tassles and glitter grips, but then i found this sick photo on custommotoredbicycles.com

http://custommotoredbicycles.com/ya...Z!owE8ViyBO24BPMOcKNUg60_57.172114311_std.JPG

For sale here

http://custommotoredbicycles.com/gy...er_saddles_seatshandle_bar_gel_tape_wrapgrips

This ones listed as a 'polo' seat, never heard of that before. But i love the look. They do have suspension sissy bars, and suspensions seat posts so you would have dual suspension on your crotch.... nice...

I was thinking you could cut the top off of the suspension sissy bar to get this real low bobber look like this bike has. And still get the suspension too, just account for how low the springs will drop before you start cutting. Anytime i have these ideas though, i dont find any of the flaws in my plan until i have already spent my money.

I'd like to see some pics of your diy seat. Its always more fun when you have made it yourself

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
That is a great looking bike and the banana goes well. As for comfort, well, the jury is still out on banana (polo) saddles. They typically have very little padding and most aren't sprung. I like the DIY approach. You get exactly what you want.

I still like that bike though. Thanks for posting that pic tmonstar.

Tom

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I'd like to see your seat, too, BigG.

Keeping the bike from beating up on your back is one of the harder issues with MBs. Improvements and ideas are always good.

I'll toss out one piece of advice for anyone who can use it. Set yourself up so that you're leaning forward a bit toward your handlebars.

I suppose individuals will vary. But I've definitely found that having my backbone leaned forward a bit is better than having my spine straight up.

Road shock running lengthwise through your spine is a recipe for pain.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
The Cloud 9 "Comfort Saddle" is without a doubt the most comfortable saddle you could use on a motorized bicycle. If you can find this exact model it is a must and money well spent and don't say "I told ya so"!

Seriously, this pictured saddle is one of mine with a few thousand miles spent in it and is holding up great with a few spills on it. I'm not sure if they still make this exact model (it's the one the "real" spooky tooth used too sell) but if you find one......grab it!

It's rather large but don't let that fool you, you can pedal for days seated in it and not get sore or chaffed. Just thought I'd share the most comfortable seat ass it gets.....and no I'm not selling any of mine!

it's the next best saddle to my carbon fibre Selle Italia "Flite" w/titanium rails !!!

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Is that cut-away for the dangling wanger? Where is the fart groove that most of those other saddles have?

I just don't see any comfort benefits in a saddle shaped like that.....do you?

Honestly.

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
I just don't see any comfort benefits in a saddle shaped like that.....do you?
this more or less sums up my feelings on ninety percent of bicycle seats.

someone should just make a bicycle seat post that has a bracket to accept a sprung motorcycle seat, I would buy such a product without hesitation.

Flyman

Nov 28, 2014
Vian Oklahoma
Scott that is a cool seat & I wish I had ordered it instead of this Schwinn Pillow Top Cruiser Bicycle Seat .Don't get me wrong this Schwinn seat is *****ing.But it does
say Schwinn on it, & this is not a Schwinn bike, that's the only reason.

Fly

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I always thought banana seats reminded me of pink barbie bikes with tassles and glitter grips, but then i found this sick photo on custommotoredbicycles.com

http://custommotoredbicycles.com/ya...Z!owE8ViyBO24BPMOcKNUg60_57.172114311_std.JPG

For sale here

http://custommotoredbicycles.com/gy...er_saddles_seatshandle_bar_gel_tape_wrapgrips

This ones listed as a 'polo' seat, never heard of that before. But i love the look. They do have suspension sissy bars, and suspensions seat posts so you would have dual suspension on your crotch.... nice...

I was thinking you could cut the top off of the suspension sissy bar to get this real low bobber look like this bike has. And still get the suspension too, just account for how low the springs will drop before you start cutting. Anytime i have these ideas though, i dont find any of the flaws in my plan until i have already spent my money.

I'd like to see some pics of your diy seat. Its always more fun when you have made it yourself
I must say that "LEATHER GYES BEACH CRUISER SEAT" looks as comfortable as sittin' on a rock......for $80. Yikes!