Adjustable engine mount

GoldenMotor.com

Burrit0124

Mar 19, 2013
Dayton, Ohio
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has built an adjustable motor mount to account for the pedal vs drive chain struggle. I would really like to adjust the motor to tension the drive chain independently. The reason is because I don't like the idea of a spring loaded tensioner. They are both ugly and annoying. Hoping to find a way to make it work in that gt-2 frame.( one with the front pedestal mount) please let me know if anyone has any ideas

:-||

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
There is one method but I'm not a fan. That is shims to move the engine forward to tighten the drive chain. The reason I don't like it is that it requires changing the angle of the front engine mount. If that mount is made to fit the down tube, as it should, then angling the engine with shims in the rear allows some air gap in the front mount. You'll either need to re-shape the front saddle everytime you add a shim or live with an improperly mounted engine.

I don't like spring loaded chain tensioners either. They allow slack in the chain when you least want it. I prefer a bike frame with horizontal dropouts to move the rear wheel forward or backward and fabricating a tensioner for the pedal chain, if required.

This is an old problem that has been hashed over hundreds of times here. Use a tensioner or not. It all depends on personal preference and what works for you.

Tom

Burrit0124

Mar 19, 2013
Dayton, Ohio
Thanks Tom.
Yes, an improperly mounted engine would drive me nuts. I'm working with the skyhawk frame with the pedestal for the front motor mount. I just ran a half link on my first bike ( I'll post pics soon) but I don't like the idea for my second bike, I want to make it better than the first. I'll come up with something that works.
Eventually

brown

Feb 1, 2013
Bloomington IL
I use a freewheel hub and rim and then use a tensioner on the pedal chain and use the drop outs to adjust the drive chain. If you would like I can provide a parts list of the parts I use to make this setup work. This setup will not work when using a coaster brake wheel and hub.