Gas Tank Leak a mounting bolt

GoldenMotor.com

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
SO i noticed today a tiny leak where the bolt goes into the gas tank for mounting. I originally kreem lined the tank but I must of tightened the nuts too much and the stress of riding created a small seeping leak there where they go into the tank.

So question is do you think I can sand dremel off the paint around the bolt real well, and then just goop it up with jbweld and call it fine? I dont want to re Kreem the tank that was aggravating.

Thanks!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I will only say that with todays gasoline, with the additives and alcohols JB doesn't work after a few days.

About the only thing that may last is something like Saf-T-Poxy and I am not sure it will hold either.

Solder it with a soldering iron, not a torch. Maybe someone else can offer up a better solution.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
There is a product called SealAll which will work in a pinch but should be considered a temporary repair. It is made to seal gasoline leaks and works, but, it is a glue and it probably won't stand up to the shock and vibration the tank studs are subjected to for long. JB Weld has proven to be almost useless for this repair (as well as many other things). Seal All is available at many auto parts stores.

Either weld/braze the area or order a new tank. And don't over tighten the mounts. Many of us install some kind of resilient material on the cross bar that will absorb some of the vibration. I like to use a product made for setting auto door glass in the tracks. It's called 'window setting tape'. It's a rubberized material that becomes sticky when applied and reduces the need to torque down on the mounts to hold the tank in place. Double sided tape also works well but doesn't absorb much vibration unless it is the type with a padding.

Tom

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
And don't over tighten the mounts.
yea yea lesson learned :) The new tank I used rubber underneath it and didnt tighten the bolts so much this time.

I have an extra kit because I ordered a kit for just taking apart the motor and messing around so I used that tank. I am using the motor in this spare kit to do all the things like porting and new gaskets etc.

I have a friend who can weld so I will let him have at it. I got 2.00 invested in woody woodpecker stickers on this tank so want to save it if I can :)

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
just a note-i tried seal all on a lawn mower tank many years ago,and glued up the jets in the carb.
made a nice mess for me.i have never used it since.
i used a couple old handlebar grips (i cut them off when i did the motor install) slipped them on the bar and tightened the tank until i couldnt rock it anymore.worked slicker than s#!t

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I'm with Ron, braze the stud. A friend got a leak on his after the bike fell over, we washed the tank out with water and made the repair. We put gas Mixture in as soon as possible to rinse out the water and prevent flash rust.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I'm with Ron, braze the stud. A friend got a leak on his after the bike fell over, we washed the tank out with water and made the repair. We put gas Mixture in as soon as possible to rinse out the water and prevent flash rust.
Like I've said before, I never put water in a tank. I kill any gas/vapor with the exhaust from another engine. In my case I use my small generator. Drain as much fuel out as possible. Hook up a hose from one to the other, run till the engine warms up the tank. About 10-20 minutes is all you need.

I've done from these tanks and as large as a 30 gallon. Becomes a permanent fix.

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Everyone has thieir way of repairing tanks, I have brazed or welded many tanks for forklifts after washing them with water. But I like your idea and will give it a try.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
JB Weld doesn't hold up in the long run, especially if you have any amount of alcohol in your gas, which around here, we do.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
ron is right,its a practice thas been used for many years,the exhaust displaces any fuel vapour,as well as no air left to support combustion.
Ummmm, I hate to think when I first heard that, been awhile, and with the many tanks that I have repaired, I'm still here with my eyesight and 10 fingers, although I only need 2 to type.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
my old co-worker "joe" used only one finger to type.the keyboard would bounce.
he wrecked three keyboard in about 6 years.

as far as diesel tanks,i have heard of people welding them full of fuel.
regardless of conditions,im always nervous about welding on a potential bomb.
i did plasma cut the ends off a propane bottle,the first cut was the most nerve wracking.

i used a product called Tech Steel to repair many leaking gas tanks,with fuel pouring through the hole,and it stopped the leak and bonded to the tank.metallic epoxy putty.