Yeehaw, another problem!

GoldenMotor.com

theycallmebob

Dec 13, 2008
Gainesville, FL
Well I'm approaching this as a learning experience. Last problem I had with the 67cc China Girl was due to a faulty kill switch.

Heres what happened. I was riding home from the library, at night, and the bike was chugging along just as usual for about 3 mins, then all a sudden mid stride it dies flat on its face. I started pedaling the 4 miles home and occasionally tried turning the motor over. Most of the time no luck, but once it fired back up and revved really high like the throttle was stuck and died after about 30 secs. No luck since then.

I got it home, pulled the plug engaged the clutch and walked the bike with the plug in my hand looking for a spark. I don't think I saw one. The plug was wet with fuel and oil, so i swapped in a fresh one and tried getting it to turn over. No luck. Removed that plug and inspected for a spark and I don't think I saw one.

It has rained a lot here and I even got stuck having to ride in quite a downpour the other day. The bike is kept outside and regularly rained on. Additionally, I washed the bicycle THIS afternoon.

I'm thinking the CDI may have crapped out, possibly the magneto. I don't know.

Can y'all point me to the next troubleshooting step?

:-||

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
these bikes are like cats,they dont like water.dont get them wet,dont ride in the rain or atleast not a downpour,dont leave outside.

if you want to ride in rain you have to double seal everything and i mean everything that you dont want to replace when it shorts out. now you will have to dry everything out including the magnito.use a spray like wd-40 or something to dry out the magnito.shake out the cdi but i dont think water can get in it.try to start if not start you might have to replace the (1)magnito or the (2)cdi or they may be water in your fuel tank,drain that and put in fresh fuel.

theycallmebob

Dec 13, 2008
Gainesville, FL
I opened the magneto cover and a fair amount of water poured out. Its all corroded and rusty. Im gonna bet thats the cause of no spark. Ordering a new one as I type this.

dvddtz

Feb 15, 2009
Gulf Breeze, FL
I ride mine in the rain all the time, not because I want to, but I have to get to work rain or shine.It is also stored outside since October last year.I personally have never had a problem.But I would seal the hole where the wires come out of the engine,that seems to be where the water gets in,if it does.I have not done it myself,but they are all different.usflg

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Another thing you'll need to keep in mind is that when checking for a spark with the plug removed you must ground the plug to the engine. You said you held the plug in your hand. That won't tell you anything. Don't let the tip touch, just the threads or the wrench flats. I seal the magneto cover and the wire exit hole with silicone gasket sealer/adhesive. I also silicone over the cover screw heads. That way even if you get caught in the rain or wash your bike at least the magneto won't get wet. The CDI is a sealed unit and moistue usually won't effect it unless it is soaked to the point that the plug wire can short to ground. A little compressed air will take care of that. Don't throw away your old magneto. It might work just fine after it dries out. Hope this helps.
Tom

theycallmebob

Dec 13, 2008
Gainesville, FL
Another thing you'll need to keep in mind is that when checking for a spark with the plug removed you must ground the plug to the engine. You said you held the plug in your hand. That won't tell you anything. Don't let the tip touch, just the threads or the wrench flats. I seal the magneto cover and the wire exit hole with silicone gasket sealer/adhesive. I also silicone over the cover screw heads. That way even if you get caught in the rain or wash your bike at least the magneto won't get wet. The CDI is a sealed unit and moistue usually won't effect it unless it is soaked to the point that the plug wire can short to ground. A little compressed air will take care of that. Don't throw away your old magneto. It might work just fine after it dries out. Hope this helps.
Tom
Great info thanks. Just a question, could I use the bike frame to ground the plug as well?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Great info thanks. Just a question, could I use the bike frame to ground the plug as well?
You can as long as there is a good electrical connection between the engine and frame. That means no paint, rust or rubber where the engine attaches or where you touch the plug to the frame. The black wire from your engine is a ground. It connects to the magneto core and engine case.
Tom

theycallmebob

Dec 13, 2008
Gainesville, FL
Got my new magneto and gasket today. Put it on, resoldered the connection to my CDI and kill switch and sealed everything up with gasket sealer. The MB is working great again.

Additionally, I FINALLY got my Manic Mechanic clamshell sprocket adapter and sprocket. Real easy install, and an awesome product. Shes running real well now!