Seat

GoldenMotor.com

zztinker

Jul 8, 2008
Central California
I'm a new guy to this forum but not a new guy on the block, I'm 70 going on 18. I just ordered a 2 stroke kit from Dax to put on my new Beach Cruiser. The problem is the seat, can anyone recommend a comfortable seat. I'm about 215 lbs and need a big fat seat.......

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
Welcome to the forum ZZ. I am 59 going on 18 and also like a comfortable seat, the wider the better. My best one is an older style cruiser seat with the metal springs. They have alot of nice cruiser seats on most of the online bike stores. I use Niagera Cycle Works out of N.Y. They have a good selection reasonably priced. I just ordered a Cloud 9 cruiser seat from them for just over $20.

Good luck......John

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
Also look into gel pads. They usually come in a slip on seat cover that ties down over your seat. This may provide more padding, something I'm always on the lookout for. :oops:

The old cruiser style seats are great, but I recently bought a cruiser that came with a gel seat. It's brown and the gel pad is part of the seat and is the softest I've used yet. It still has the cruiser seat springs, but also has the benefit of the gel pad for a softer seating area. It's also brown, so it has that nice retro appeal. :)

There's also a seat available that doesn't have that narrow "tongue" at the front. Just 2 pads for the butt. Looks kinda funky, but been tempted to try it. Saw it at Walmart of all places. I've also seen it on a couple of online bike parts stores.

Oh yeah, I'm only 56 going on 56. Hey. There's a reason why I'm a grouchy old fart. My body can't handle "going on 18". rotfl

Upshifter

Dec 27, 2008
Oregon
I'm probably the oldest person on this forum. I'm 74, and I'm old enough to know better, but too young to resist. I've got 4 kits, and several bicycles to run them on. The most recent is a .49cc Slant from Power King. I'm thinking about building it on the Kaluna Moon Dog that I have. My other engines are all the 66cc type, called 80s.

The Moon Dog seat has good springs, but I don't like the hard metal pan with the poor padding. The two-tone black and white color looks pukey to me, also. Good seats are expensive, so I'm going to look for a used one. I have one gel seat on another bike that I like; it has a network of coil springs instead of a flat plate under the cover. It's firm but not hard.

The motor bikes are fun, and I wouldn't be without them; but after riding one, if I climb on my motorcycle I feel like I've died and gone to heaven by comparison. LOL The motorized bicycles have a charm of their own.

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
I've been looking for a better seat and came across a serfas (I think that's it), but anyway it has an air valve on it that with your bike pump can be inflated to any desired level of cushion. It runs for 35 or 39 bucks on EBay and am really considering getting it.

Does anyone here have and use on of these?

POPS

Sep 8, 2008
Vancouver Island BC .Canada
My problem is I don't have any extra padding on my butt so any little bump goes right threw me into my back. Sort of like being in a butt kicking contest. On the mountain rock hopper I'm building I'm going to use the front seat off a 1985 Honda 250 rebel. A bit over kill but I would rather be comfortable that hobbleing...POPS

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
I recently came across suspension seatposts.......what an interesting concept! I wonder how they are for battling vibration.

Anybody use them?
My problem is actually like POPS. No meat on the butt and a degenerative lumbar problem. My wife's cruiser had one of these seat stems and they actually work pretty good.... and I'm almost 220. They're even better in conjunction with those cruiser seats with the springs. Just gotta make sure you keep the spring in the stem well oiled or greased. They start to squeak something terrible.

Oops. Sorry. Don't know how well they dampen vibration. :oops:

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
hey 2door, you like that rear holder that simply attaches to the seat post ? I almost got one at walmart the other day but it didnt appear to be too strong.

Also back to seats , I got this one at walmart

http://motorbicycling.com/f14/new-intro-nepa-6887.html

for motoring it works great and is easy on the backside, only problem is it tends to chaf the thighs while pedaling, so I avoid that part and just use the motor :)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Whatever you do, don't buy one of these. It's a pretty seat but hard as a rock. Wally World / Bell.
Tom
Just took first ride with new seat and I have to differ with you Tom. It is very firm with lil padding but sprang well. I wanted the the classic old leather saddle feel and look and it does that well. But with out a doubt, not right for every one.

Attachments