How Far Is It

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
If you were to be retired and just wanted to ride your bike out to breakfast how far is it.

If you wanted to ride to the bank how far is it.

If you wanted to ride to the closest place to buy a quart of milk. how far is it.

If you wanted to ride to the hardware store, how far is it.

In my case it isn't very far but I wonder about other retirees... I know some of you live in the country and wouldn't really ride a bike to run errands. Some of you guys probably don't need that little bit of exercise either but I do. I wondering how many others there are like me. People who could use a bike if it were convenient and fun to ride.

TheBeak

Feb 25, 2009
Blue Hill Maine/ California
i am far from retired well like the opposite, haha but i am gonna be using mine as my main vehicle.
Anyway i live in no where so
breakfast is 6 miles
bank is 20
milk is 6
and hardware store is 25 for a crappy one and almost 40 for a good one

but again, not retired
by the way deacon love reading your posts, i'm on here a lot

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi
I guess i am less than a mile from everything,at my home in the city.Cattle ranch 15 miles to breakfast,bank 125 miles,milk is in the pasture.I gave my gas bike away a couple of weeks ago,to a friend who did not have a car to get to work.I still have the e bike and the new bike bug i am building. HD

oylavabeer

Jan 9, 2009
Perth Australia
I have a local deli less than 1km away, my 66cc mb is my prefered mode of transport to get to, work and back 30km ,pub and back 30km,breakfast and back 50km and best mates workshop ( i love this place ) and back 20km. I live in the hills so roads are verry hilly luckily there is a disused railway line conecting to most townships nearby its a bit dusty but I ride my mb like a trail bike
bank=90 km
hardware=50km

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
If you were to be retired and just wanted to ride your bike out to breakfast how far is it.
Breakfast 1 miile

If you wanted to ride to the bank how far is it. 1 miile

If you wanted to ride to the closest place to buy a quart of milk. how far is it. 1 miile

If you wanted to ride to the hardware store, how far is it. 1 miile

Bar 3/4 mile LOL
These are not all the same 1 miles. My main bank is 2 miles. A better breakfast is just under 2 miles but I like the little local cafe with it's week day specials.

I could walk to these places but that would be all I would be good for for the day. The movies, and a bunch of little places to eat 3 miles.

Taking the bus without a pass would be at least $2.50 round trip and require 1/2 mile walk to any of these places. The movies would be a $5 round trip bus fare.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
If you were to be retired and just wanted to ride your bike out to breakfast how far is it...One mile down the hill to McD's, across from Aloha Stadium.

If you wanted to ride to the bank how far is it...Four miles to the credit union.

If you wanted to ride to the closest place to buy a quart of milk. how far is it...Next to McD's.

If you wanted to ride to the hardware store, how far is it. ..Six miles west or seven miles east to Home Depot stores..rd.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
If you wanted to ride to the bank how far is it.
24 miles round trip and I have ridden it several times.

If you wanted to ride to the closest place to buy a quart of milk. how far is it.
6 miles round trip, and I have done it so many times I've lost count.

If you wanted to ride to the hardware store, how far is it.
See above, there is a killer hardware inside the local grocery...

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL
I live 6 miles from town, so that is my shortest trip one-way. Everything on your list could be had there. The next closest town is about 10 miles away. Their hardware store is a little better, and they have a nice restaurant/bar with great pizza.
The nearest big town is just under 20 miles. So if I need WalMart, Menards, an LBS, etc., It's a 40-mile round trip.

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
I have most any store I need within walking distance , It's easier to dodge the road apples .But if I want to do some slollum racing with my MB I just head west for 2 minutes and Im in Amish country . Most challenging , riding after a hard rain . All the turds turn to soup . dnut
p.s. mentally retired only

i

Last edited:

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
.boogy1aI'm a native of Lagrange Co. Indiana , 11 miles south of the Michigan line ,25 miles west of the Ohio line . I live in the upper section of Tornado Alley , which should be awakend in the next few weeks . How about you a-dam .Do you become one with the turds ?

Last edited:

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL
I've been away for a while.

Well leftywoody, it's pretty rural around here, but just about the only turds I have to deal with are people.
All the roads I ride are paved, but occasionally there are people riding horses along the edge. I don't recall having to dodge any "apples". Now that you mention it, I was taking a long walk yesterday (too cold and windy for me to ride), and there was a horse pile on the pavement. Luckily, it wasn't along my usual riding route.