Oil/Grease Leak

GoldenMotor.com

kg78

Dec 27, 2008
Sydney, Australia
hi,

i seem to be getting a leak on top of the clutch housing specifically coming from the mounted notch that holds the end of the clutch cable.

is this a common issue and do i just take out clutch cable and screw that notch down further to rectify this or should i be doing something else?

i have not adjusted this at all when building bike kit.

cheers.
KG78
.duh.

kg78

Dec 27, 2008
Sydney, Australia
pic attached of where the grease is leaking from. its not coming from the engine. i tried siliconing it but this pic shows that it has broken thru that.
i just tried sealing that nut with nut locking compound will post back results.

Attachments

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I would be afraid to seal it up, maybe there is so much you could blow a seal or something. I have never seen that.

Maybe contact your vendor and see what they say?

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
That is a new one. I take that fitting out and jack grease into that area before I ever run the engines I wonder if you clean it off good with brake clean then unscrew the fitting and use a little thread sealant on it to see if it will stop you might take a very small screwdriver and dig out a little bit of the grease as well. Look at the rear sprocket and under the clutch assembly to see if you have gobs of grease coming out there as well cause that is strange but these engines are strange no two are alike. the gasket that seals the cases is very thin in that area, if its leaking through the gasket I'd just keep it cleaned off as its a pain to split the cases just for that gasket and I don't know if any venders sell that gasket right off I make my own. A leak of grease there should not cause you to have any problems other than it making a mess.
I looked at your picture again I wonder if you might have a leak coming out of the crankcase and its blowing into that area the gasket looks a little bit pushed up close to the engine part of the case.
Norman

Last edited:

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
my case gaskets have crappy alignment like that too.

I would follow Norm's advice and take that piece out and seal it with locktite or something. Shouldn't hurt anything, you'll just have to clean it now and again. If it's because there is too much grease in there, it should stop eventually.

kg78

Dec 27, 2008
Sydney, Australia
yes, i have applied some sealant in the form of the loctite i have remaining from the build.

im waiting for it to fully dry before operating the bike again.

i can confirm that it is coming from that screw mount thingy because i originally tried sealing it with silicone and it came thru that and it was in the thread.