Not studly enough

GoldenMotor.com

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
:-||when I first built my motored bike I had to replace my front mounting studs with longer studs from the hardware . I used threadlock from loctite to secure them and let it dry overnite . Fast forward 5months later and a 100 miles or so , the studs have backed out and are loose again . Is there a magic trick to getting those studs to stay in place .

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
:-||when I first built my motored bike I had to replace my front mounting studs with longer studs from the hardware . I used threadlock from loctite to secure them and let it dry overnite . Fast forward 5months later and a 100 miles or so , the studs have backed out and are loose again . Is there a magic trick to getting those studs to stay in place .
Are you using lock nuts? What kind of Locktite? Was the stud physically tight (bottomed) to start with as you threaded them in? How tight do you get the nuts?

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
i used the blue locktite and nylock nuts with lockwasher . the nuts did not back up but you could tell that the threaded stud did . I tightened the nuts until the lockwasher closed .When I put the studs in originally , I was leary of torqing them down too much for fear of stripping out the threads .