Got It Running Strong.

GoldenMotor.com

theycallmebob

Dec 13, 2008
Gainesville, FL
I have been having an issue with the power coming and going under WOT. I had been doing a lot of reading on here and decided to try moving the E clip on the needle up one spot (to lean it out a bit), regap my plug, clean my air filter, and seal the carb to the intake with some silicon.

While I was at it I decided to remove one link from my #41 roller chain with my new fangled Sick Bike Parts chain breaker and try and get the movement out of my new 36t rear sprocket. Long story short the chain breaker turned out to be pretty junky having stripped itself before breaking a chain even once. Made a simple task take a long time. Had to make up a punch to get the pin out.

I had to redrill the rubber gaskets for the sprocket mount to get it to sit in the middle without movement. Got it all together and took it for a ride. It cruises strong now ranging from 30-35MPH at WOT depending on conditions.

On a side note you are able to get a 4 pack of master links for the #41 roller chain at Lowes, they also looked to have the chain itself in the back but it was more expensive than at tractor supply.

Sorry for the rant, Im just excited. Would never have gotten it running so good without this forum. Thanks guys.

.shft.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Glad you got it running nice, although I would like some information on the chain breaker. Since we sell them I would like to know what exactly the failure was and we will gladly replace it.

theycallmebob

Dec 13, 2008
Gainesville, FL
Glad you got it running nice, although I would like some information on the chain breaker. Since we sell them I would like to know what exactly the failure was and we will gladly replace it.
Ive used multiple chain breakers on bicycles and was looking for one for these larger chains. I usually buy Park tools, however the one which works for these larger chains, C-7 or something, is 65 dollars. The Sick Bike Parts one said it was suitable for a 415 chain, well I have a #41 chain which I believe to have the same width. The probe which punches out the retaining pin was not long enough to push out the pin all the way. Had a mm or 2 left in it. I tried again applying a little more pressure and when I went to pull it out the black probe ripped out the end.

Once that happened I said oh well its already shot and screwed in even farther in an attempt to get the pin fully out. No luck, all I ended up doing was stripping the threads on the end you screw with.

The failure was partially my fault and partially the build quality and material choice of the tool.

Dont get me wrong, SBP is awesome. I am always very satisfied with the price, service, and quality of their parts. This time I was just a little disappointed in the quality.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Thanks, we need to know failure mode or we can't fix things. I just went out and broke six links on a 415 chain and I agree the pin is a little short for the 415 chain. However a #41 chain is much wider than a 415 chain and why you had the difficulties. We have a solution for the pin length and will have that implemented immediately. However I still do not believe that it will break a #41 chain but the solution works great on the 415 chain. Thanks for your help. If you would like a replacement let us know.