Manic Mechanic socket adapter?

GoldenMotor.com

Firestorm102389

Aug 29, 2013
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
I have a schwinn admiral. it's a 7 speed bike, I measured as accurately as I could and the hub looks to be 1". Had a tape measure but hard to see with the original sprocket on it so bolts were in the way.

I'm looking at getting the manic mechanic sprocket adapter and I just wanted to make sure a few things. I use #41 roller chain. My question is this, will the small adapter from their website fit on the 1" hub?

If not, I'll have to buy from another website like bikeberry where they have that as an option, but I don't know if their sprockets will work with a #41 chain, since I see a lot of them that say only 415 (Which is why I went to the manic mechanic's website to look)

PS, I'm also getting a spring loaded chain tensioner that bolts on to the clutch cover, I think that will help a lot. Just trying to make it as reliable and maintenance free as possible due to the fact I'm using it to get back and forth to work, and I don't want to be late!

Firestorm102389

Aug 29, 2013
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Yeah, there is a harbor frieght close to my house, I'll have to pick up one, but I just figured, there was a certain size for the bike that was easier to find. Do I measure the center of the hub at the smallest measurement?

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
Yeah, there is a harbor frieght close to my house, I'll have to pick up one, but I just figured, there was a certain size for the bike that was easier to find. Do I measure the center of the hub at the smallest measurement?
The hub should be the same size across the center if not you may run into problems,
you need to measure the hub diameter where the adapter will be sitting.
hope that answers your ?

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I have a schwinn admiral. it's a 7 speed bike, I measured as accurately as I could and the hub looks to be 1".
I'm looking at getting the manic mechanic sprocket adapter and I just wanted to make sure a few things. I use #41 roller chain. My question is this, will the small adapter from their website fit on the 1" hub?
The clam shell MM adapter is for fat hubs like coaster brake and internally geared hubs because you can't get a rag joint sprocket attached to the fat hub.

Derailleur hubs are ideal for a rag joint sprocket but pretty darn thin to just clamp around to hold your drive sprocket torque.
Sure you can turn the mount to rest against a spoke but that's just 1 spoke.

I would think a rag joint installed properly (it's just not that hard) would be more reliable that an MM clamp on a 7-speed hub and it doesn't have the same chance of catastrophic failure like an MM coming loose and taking out your spokes while riding.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
When you said you measured the hub "at the smallest measurement" that has me concerned.

Is your rear hub consistent diameter across the full width? Some 7 speed Schwinn hubs are not. We used to call them 'Three Mile Island' hubs because the hub is a parabolic shape. Similar to the cooling towers seen at a nuclear power plant.

The once popular Schwinn Jaguar used that type of hub and there are no aftermarket sprocket adapters that will work on it.

Also as was said above your measurements must be precise. Down to the thousands of an inch. You won't get that with a tape measure. Use a caliper. Not sure about the one suggested. I had one of those that wouldn't read the same twice in a row. It went into the trash. Buy a good one, not cheap junk.

Tom

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Not to argue but went threw an 8 month precision machining course at a local community college. $ was tight so I used a HF caliper and mic. Tested both regularly and although the rest of the class used Sterretts, my POC, $30 set w/coupon, snicker. Read exactly the same on parts and size blocks.

I had meant to replace when finances got looser, but have no problems with these.

Like any precision instrument, has to be cleaned and cared for but has served me well.

Still gonna blow the $ some day but don't feel pressed to yet. Also some times ya can get lucky at yard sales and thrift stores. Recalibrating em is not hard and as said, ya really have to be precise, Fire Storm.