Installed a new sprocket and now she wont start...

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The float is the plastic thing inside the bottom of the carb.
The slide is the part you are talking about.

I would confirm spark first. Then go from there.

Do you have the stock (and therefore crappy/intermittant) kill switch?

theycallmebob

Dec 13, 2008
Gainesville, FL
Yea, Ive still got the stock kill switch. That thought crossed my mind. Too cold again tonight to work on the bike. Come to think of it, last time it was running it wasn't shutting the motor down like it used to. I had to stall it out with the choke.

I'll check spark again tomorrow.

Why would/is it normal for the air filter to be wet with fuel?

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
if you have been trying to start the motor several times it will draw fuel but still sounds like you have an over flow problem to adjust the carb you have to remove the bowl cover on the carb and adjust the Y that holds the float in place sounds like it needs to be raised up a little but that still is not keeping it from running it would just run pourly.

hill climber

Sep 11, 2008
paso robles, california
its about 30deg here every morning. i dont use my tickler, never have, but my bikes start on full choke in the cold every time. try disconnecting the kill switch and check you elecrtical connections, motor to cdi. use the clutch to kill it and not the choke. using the choke just floods the engine and makes it hard to start next time.
hill climber

Last edited:

theycallmebob

Dec 13, 2008
Gainesville, FL
Alright. Took the spark plug out again and had no spark. Undid my electrical tape around my wire loom and everything was still connected. Unplugged and replugged everything, cranked it over again and still no spark. Took off my spark plug wire, snipped a 1/2" off of it and rethreaded it to the CDI, no spark. Unplugged the kill switch, turn it over, and it sparked.

Tried it out while riding and it fired right up. Took it for a long test ride and everything seems fine. Killswitch must have been the problem.

The filter must have been wet because I had flooded the damn thing so much, pedaling without a spark the whole time.

Oh well, live and learn.

Thanks to everyone for the help. Hope its actually fixed this time, at least for awhile.

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
great news glad it works you can wire in a good toggle switch as a kill switch or just use the clutch to stall the motor.

Good luck and have fun join us in chat from time to time and post some pics we love em.