Help? - Buying Electric kit

GoldenMotor.com

bikeslob

Jul 31, 2013
Gresham, Oregon
I have a dual suspension MTB with MajicPie III and the 42 or whatever battery.(biggest one from Golden Motors who make Magic Pie).
I can go 30mph according to speedometer I put on it, with newer larger front sprocket I think with pedaling I can get 35mph or a touch more. Too fast for bike lane, too slow for car lane. haha.
I can get 20 miles at full on with no pedaling. What you are asking for is 30 miles carrying a huge payload. Just my battery cost $300+ which is your budget.
Another thing to consider is the weight. The battery is about 15 lbs and the motor is about 15 lbs and with a 25-30 mountain bike you got a 60 lb motorcyle basically (read: heavy, and need better helmet).

You ever wonder why motorcycles have such wide tires? Roads are bumpier than you think in my neck of the woods. I have to go through 3 different ghettos to get to work unless I double the length and go through the woods trail. An electric bike works for a very specific need, and if you have that need, it is the bomb. However, riding home at night during the winter in traffic is not too inviting.

It's best to have a garage for one of these suckers and I don't and that is why I know it is best to have a garage. If you go gas, even more so.
My battery is over the back wheel because of the dual-suspension taking up the triange area under the seat. In fact, I need this bike for Mountain trails, so I just bought a frame from BikeIsland that is a hard tail and I can move the battery forward.

Last edited:

Crisscrow

Jun 12, 2014
OR
I have a dual suspension MTB with MajicPie III and the 42 or whatever battery.(biggest one from Golden Motors who make Magic Pie).
I can go 30mph according to speedometer I put on it, with newer larger front sprocket I think with pedaling I can get 35mph or a touch more. Too fast for bike lane, too slow for car lane. haha.
I can get 20 miles at full on with no pedaling. What you are asking for is 30 miles carrying a huge payload. Just my battery cost $300+ which is your budget.
Another thing to consider is the weight. The battery is about 15 lbs and the motor is about 15 lbs and with a 25-30 mountain bike you got a 60 lb motorcyle basically (read: heavy, and need better helmet).

You ever wonder why motorcycles have such wide tires? Roads are bumpier than you think in my neck of the woods. I have to go through 3 different ghettos to get to work unless I double the length and go through the woods trail. An electric bike works for a very specific need, and if you have that need, it is the bomb. However, riding home at night during the winter in traffic is not too inviting.

It's best to have a garage for one of these suckers and I don't and that is why I know it is best to have a garage. If you go gas, even more so.
My battery is over the back wheel because of the dual-suspension taking up the triange area under the seat. In fact, I need this bike for Mountain trails, so I just bought a frame from BikeIsland that is a hard tail and I can move the battery forward.
Well actually I realized its more like 12 miles I need it to take me daily so I was off to say 30 but I see what your saying.

bikeslob

Jul 31, 2013
Gresham, Oregon
Ok, 12 is getting good. My 14 miles takes me 41 minutes or so. I recharge the battery at work. You might lose a ton if you just peddled a regular bike with no motor. serious. An hour of regular peddling is about the same time as a spinner's class.

I swear every time I futz with this thing I nick my hand or shin whatever. It is so clumsy trying to lean it against a wall because the mountain bike front end can turn almost backward and the causes the bike to fall. Had to order a special bike stand for really odd bikes.

It ain't the type of bike you could hang on the ceiling of your studio apartment. And you need extra cable and/or locks just to mosey down to the store and leave it outside.

Again, there are specific applicatoins for this thing that really define it's usefullness. If you don't have those, then you just have a great hobby. Great people on this forum that really help each other.

Last edited:

Crisscrow

Jun 12, 2014
OR
What kind of battery would I need to get for about 12 to 15 miles a day, not sure I'd be able to charge it at work, plus I'd have to get a second charger if I did, cause I know I'd forget it heh.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
What kind of battery would I need to get for about 12 to 15 miles a day, not sure I'd be able to charge it at work, plus I'd have to get a second charger if I did, cause I know I'd forget it heh.
Not much, it all depends on voltage and demand.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
You can get a 'bottle' LiPo battery, about $300 with charger delivered, just google it.

It is designed to mount on a 10-speed type bikes water bottle holes but this thing is just a 24" for a petite woman with an easy internal 3-speed so it had to go on the back.

36V 3-speed shifting system and it gets 20+ miles on a charge with the petite rider.

Or go bigger as it's all about battery capacity and gears in my book.

We still don't know how far this thing can go on a full charge, or how fast it can go even after a week of light testing, all I know is even our brutal 100+F temps the thing just keeps going with the EM3ev.com 50V battery and SBP 48V kit on my initial 90% charge.

We just got the jump-stop and a motor sprocket on today and it's on the charger at 100% now.

I'm gonna spring for a digital speedo and see exactly what it will do under our brutal hot conditions.

bikeslob

Jul 31, 2013
Gresham, Oregon
If you took your food to work instead of buy it, and made your own coffee, you might be able to save $100 or more a month and put it towards your ebike.
That and riding regular bike to work by pedaling would be your ideal big picture solution both to your health and to your wallet.
Please keep us informed of your progress in any direction you take.