Another auto trans

GoldenMotor.com

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
That works on the same principal as the NuVinci gearless hub.
http://www.fallbrooktech.com/cycling

Many folks have used the original, they just can't handle the power of an engine for long.
They are fine for pedal power though.

Edit: It has been a year or so since I have been to their web site.
Apparently Fallbrook Tech. has been developing the technology to withstand the increased power. Perhaps this will be or currently is a viable transmission?
I gotta read more on their web site...

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
You say they can't handle the power of an engine, Austin used them for several years as a stepless vario drive. My understanding is that materials technology at the time wasn't up to long term usage though, so the Hayes was dropped.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Yes, that is what I meant.
Every experimenter that has used the NuVinci on this forum and "the other forum" has had great success with the original hub, but for only a short time. I think the most mileage ever gotten out of one was just shy of 3K. (a guestimation as I don't exactly recall) It was leaking the expensive special ferrofluid whatever stuff out of it at a bad rate and yet still slipped bad even when refilled. It just plain wore out quickly.

I recall Fallbrook Tech putting a disclaimer on their site stating that the warranty was void if one used an engine or motor to power the hub.
Pedal power only.

Last edited: