Chain tensioner necessary?

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If you think for a moment that you well ever submit a chain to the kind of stress that it was designed for, and I'm talking about industrial roller chain, with the forces available from a motorized bicycle, you have another think coming.
"Pre-Stretched" ??? I've never seen this term applied to any roller chain from any manufacturer. "Pre-Stressed". Possibly, and the forces used are far more than you'll ever see in our applications.
As I've said, the kit supplied chains, typically #415 chains have some limitations and short-comings when compared with a chain manufactured by Morse, Browning, or any of several other American made industrial roller chains.
I'll stand by my original statement. Roller chains do not "stretch", they wear.

Personally I have a number of kit chains stored under my work bench because I don't use them. I install a good quality #41 industrial roller chain on all of my builds. I never experience chain problems associated with some of the kit chain. And contrary to what I've seen posted here, #415 and #41 are not compatible in terms of master or half links. The pin sizes are different which does not allow matching one to the other.

Tom

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
From Diamond Chain's FAQ section:

"What is meant by "pre-stretching" or "pre-loading" roller chain, why is it done, and is it important?
Following assembly, an initial load is applied to the chain, which is called a pre-load. This loading approximates the recommended maximum loading in service and is done to align the various chain components such as pins, bushings, and link plates. The benefit of pre-loading is that it helps greatly eliminate the initial elongation often found in "lesser" chains. Elimination of this initial elongation can increase the chains useable service life therefore pre-loading is very important. Diamond Chain Company pre-loads every standard and heavy series chain it manufacturers."

http://www.diamondchain.com/frequently-asked-questions.php

IMHO elongation=stretching.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Isn't that exactly what I said?

Tom
You said "Chains don't stretch."

I said China KIT chains DO stretch because they are not pre-stretched/stressed like a quality chain. As the FAQ indicates, a freshly manufactured chain will elongate/stretch when stressed for the first time, and that is why a quality industrial chain is pre-stressed. A China kit chain is FAR from an industrial chain and they go through all sorts of changes when they encounter the stress from the motor. Trust me, I witnessed the death of two kit chains, they are definitely the "lesser chains" that will elongate/stretch when stressed... My #41 chain has been rock solid though, and I suspect it will out last several ht motors and serve for at least 4000-5000 miles at a minimum...

Last edited:

MitchP

Oct 6, 2012
Santa Rosa, CA
I lubed my chain last night (1st lube, silicone). Then, this morning, it was quite slack. I didn't realize it until it bunched up in the crank case. SOMETHING happened. I could hardly tension it until I moved the wheel back. So yes some sort elongation occurs.

rudyauction509

May 8, 2012
Spokane, WA
chains stretch/wear/whatever you want to call it because as the pins and bushings wear, they become loose because the pins become thinner and the bushings wider, by a tiny amount. this allows the chain links to move apart a tiny bit. No chain under normal conditions stretches like a rubber band because metal isn't rubber, though they do get longer because of the pin/bushing wear. Does that make sense?