finally building my rat

GoldenMotor.com

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
For a week now I have been trying "not " to start to build this bike an as always its just sitting there melting a hole in my brain , I collapsed here comes my shot at a Rat , todat I streched the rear 6 inches an rough fitted the wheel an fender witch will need a crap load of length added to it since I am having street sweepers this time .absolutly no frills on this one I am also testing how cheap I can build it , so if you dont like the contrast of bare metal ,rust an some shiny paint turn back now ! (chuckels)
heres some pics .
Gary

Attachments

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
Hey SB ,nice to see ya kickin round .
more progress on the rat put in a couple more tubes on the rear that I scavenged from a trash find tandem with a broken frame today an mocked up a few steps ahead , an realized the wrong shape tank will shoot this bike in the backside , so I think the old tank light is gonna get a make over to hold fuel it just looks too cool on there or build one thats bigger an similar .
Gary

Attachments

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
new pic today spent a lot of time on the front end leaned out the springer about 2 inch an fitted up the front fender, think I may give it a couple days to sit now got to figure out the brakes , make a chaingaurd mount an finish up the fender work .
Gary

Attachments

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
I will never say I am going to let something sit a couple days again (ephifinay ) I cant do it .fenders ,done , brakes , done, seat an post, done . only things left to do is everything motor inc. the tank .
Gary

Attachments

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
Sb I did a lil diggin on that one before I cut it , all my reasearch pointed twards a late 50's early 60's ross , I wouldnt have cut it if it werent in bad shape , an even considered restoring it . there just wasnt enough of the original bike there to bother restoring .
Gary

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
built by chainbike corp as the answer to schwinn's stingray , I wish I had a couple of them , one to restore an then the custom kind of a before an after display . lol

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
Hey Killer nice to hear from ya an thank you .
ok heres a question I am building my own jackshaft out of left overs from the other mb's I have built does anyone know where I can find a gear ratio calculator the ones I find here dont seem to work with multiple ratios .
Gary

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
the regular jimsitton calc does a good job. Just remember the 20/82 to get HT's 4.1:1

http://motorbicycling.com/showpost.php?p=398588&postcount=3

Your first drive gear off the HT is 10T(3rd box), and you go from there. most ppl swear by it, so I hope its pretty accurate. Engine hp/tuning notwithstanding for final speed, etc...

So figure on (box #):
1=20
2=82 ( to get HT's 4.1:1)
3=10(HT output)
4= ? J-shaft input (this would be your normal (72-32) hub mount, and you'd leave 5,6 @1:1)
5= ? J-shaft output
6= ? final drive

It'll give you a decent estimate at least. :)

Then put in wheel diameter, and engine rpm(HT's usually max out around 7k stock. Port matching and port polishing can add 500-1000+ easy), and see what it gives you for an estimate.

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
I must be doing someting ridiculously wrong with that calculator , I KEEP GETTING SPEEDS OFAROUND 140 !!!!
ok heres exactly what I entered
box 1 10 tooth at the motor
box 2 19 tooth driven gear input side of jackshaft
box 3 11 tooth output side of the jshaft
box 4 35 tooth input side of cranks
box 5 44 tooth output side of cranks
box 6 20 tooth gear at rear wheel
26 inch wheel
5000 rpm
lol I had to do something wrong or I need some bigger gears in there
Gary

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
I must be doing someting ridiculously wrong with that calculator , I KEEP GETTING SPEEDS OFAROUND 140 !!!!
ok heres exactly what I entered
box 1 10 tooth at the motor
box 2 19 tooth driven gear input side of jackshaft
box 3 11 tooth output side of the jshaft
box 4 35 tooth input side of cranks
box 5 44 tooth output side of cranks
box 6 20 tooth gear at rear wheel
26 inch wheel
5000 rpm
lol I had to do something wrong or I need some bigger gears in there
Gary
you forgot the 4.1-1 internal gear reduction in the motor itself

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
damn i feel dumb it makes sence now , so all I need to do now is divide the final number by 4 an I have my speed right ?
Gary

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
Thanks for the help on figuring out the gearing , with that sorted out I am currently scrounging the parts together , somethings I am just going to have to buy tho. but since I had the tail lamp peices already I built them an mounted them , I took these lamp housings off of a ceiling fan assembly I found in a scrap yard last year when we hauled out a truck load from the garage .
Gary

Attachments

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
Actually I only have 3 of those lamp housings , I did an hours worth of digging at various hardware stores an found a 4th at 75 bucks ! an said HALL NO ! broke down an bought some mini scooter sig lamps an a bunch of other stuff that I just cant seem to scroung up , even in my vast collection of semi useless junk that runs roughly 12x20x3 out in the side lot !