Blew the rear hub in my Raleigh Drifter Cruiser. any ideas on replacements?

GoldenMotor.com

LS1vazquez

Sep 8, 2012
San Jose
Hello!

I have a Raleigh Cruiser that I installed a 80/66cc motor on. I've only had it on for three days and I sent it by a local bike shop to show it off. While we were looking at it the mechanic noticed that the rear hub bearings were shot and low and behold the wheel was wobbling. The bike is only a month old at this point and the engine had barely been run on it, so I'm thinking that it was an improper sprocket install on my part.

I did some looking through the forums but I'm really new to all of this, so I'm wondering what a good replacement hub for it? I head that the stock hubs on most bikes go out with the motor install but I was expecting to get at least a few dozen miles out of it. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
if it's a coaster brake hub, the shimano cb-e110 is the best hub on the market today. you can buy a wheel already laced up with 12g spokes online for around 50 bucks.

google niagra bicycle or bikeparts.com (i think.)

you gotta make sure you adjust it correctly after installing the sprocket. any hub will fail if it's not.

LS1vazquez

Sep 8, 2012
San Jose
if it's a coaster brake hub, the shimano cb-e110 is the best hub on the market today. you can buy a wheel already laced up with 12g spokes online for around 50 bucks.

google niagra bicycle or bikeparts.com (i think.)

you gotta make sure you adjust it correctly after installing the sprocket. any hub will fail if it's not.
Its a coaster brake hub, but I didn't have the coaster hooked up due to the routing of the chain.

How do I adjust it after installing it?

Thanks,

LS1vazquez

Sep 8, 2012
San Jose
Its a coaster brake hub, but I didn't have the coaster hooked up due to the routing of the chain.

How do I adjust it after installing it?

Thanks,
I dropped the rear wheel and took the entire assembly to the local bike store. The rear hub didn't look too chewed up and the bike guy said he can repack it and put new bearings in it and get me back on the road.

It's not exactly an upgrade but it will give me the time i need to get a new hub in.