Huffy Panama Jack Crusier Build from Walmart

GoldenMotor.com

iowaguy

Jun 30, 2011
iowa
just finished my first build last week and I am working on one for my boss haha - it is a panama jack huffy from walmart with an engine kit... not sure where this kit came from, but it isnt near as easy to work with as my gasbike.net kit - the throttle cable barrel was hanging by a thread and broke the second I touched it and it was missing the front motor mount... nothing major just minor set backs. anyway i have to grind out the rear gear after work and a few other minor things and it should be running tonight!

here is a quick 10 sec video of me riding my first build. this was the very first time the engine started so its a big sluggish but i have since got it running strong! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q67Yy8dORqY&feature=plcp

Attachments

iowaguy

Jun 30, 2011
iowa
hey littletinman - about 30 seconds after that video the chain fell off and the chain tensioner got put on haha - I have a fuel filter for the second build (just not on in the pic) but my first build doesnt have one, but will plan on getting one picked up tonight!

Both builds have been a lot of fun so far... hopefully more to come!

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
That's a newer Panama Jack. Mine is last year's model. But, I have done a lot of work to it since.

My youtube channel

They're pretty decent bikes, man. Nothing great, but good to start with. You just have to make sure you have front brakes, too. Rear coaster brakes only suck. I also can tell you that's only the beginning. It started with just small things, like seat, handlebars, springer front fork, then I got a banana seat, mirror, Speedo...

Thinking back, I should have just gotten a Cranbrook, and went with that, since I took everything off of it. But, oh, well.

Keep us informed of what you have done with the bike. It's going to look great...

iowaguy

Jun 30, 2011
iowa
Yours looks really nice - like the blacked out look! The one I am building is actually for my boss so I am basically just getting it up and running then hes going to do whatever he wants to it. The Schwinn in my YouTube video was my first build and I am in the process of tearing down and getting it all painted. As its getting broke in and starting to get faster I am finding that the coaster brake alone can get sketchy quick so I am going to get a front brake added.

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
Could you post more pictures? I was thinking of using that cruiser, but not sure if i want to pay $50 for the a aesthetics as to just a cheaper huffy.

iowaguy

Jun 30, 2011
iowa
So I got the Panama Jack done last night! That makes 2 builds in just over 2 weeks haha! Both builds went pretty smooth, the Panama Jack had a different motor kit so I ran into a few little hiccups that I didn't expect - the biggest one being the throttle cable barrel being broke off and the front motor mount missing, which luckily with my Schwinns kit I purchased the universal mount and there were enough extra parts to get it mounted

Attachments

iowaguy

Jun 30, 2011
iowa
The panama jack is a much better feeling bike than the Schwinn, i think the Schwinn was $119 from target and the panama jack was $149 from Walmart. I like the wheels, tires, seat and bars much better on it - I would spend the extra cash for it for sure

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
That's a newer Panama Jack. Mine is last year's model. But, I have done a lot of work to it since.

They're pretty decent bikes, man. Nothing great, but good to start with.

... It started with just small things, like seat, handlebars, springer front fork.

Thinking back, I should have just gotten a Cranbrook.
(just sighs)
Huffy hasn't made a quality bike since the 70's, all they do now is polish turds but hey that's just my informed opinion as my bone yard of abandoned repair bikes are all Huffy's.

patricklogsdon

Jul 9, 2012
Louisville KY
Both builds look great man. I really like the look of the Huffy Panama Jack edition. I'm thinking of buying that bike for my second build. GOOD job, BE CAREFUL! I noticed that reflective patch on the seat of the PJ. did you put that there or did the seat come like that?
Pat in Louisville KY

iowaguy

Jun 30, 2011
iowa
the seat actually doesn't have anything reflective on it, the back side of it is a plaid and the material (guessing vinyl) is shiny. i think the light was hitting it just right. The PJ is a really comfortable bike to ride, feels really solid.

iowaguy

Jun 30, 2011
iowa
Thanks, it came together nicely. The front is actually just a bag that came with the bike (and a cup holder) - I was keeping some tools in the bag. I uploaded a picture i took during the build that shows the bag a little better

Attachments

Last edited:

iowaguy

Jun 30, 2011
iowa
I actually haven't had a chance to really put some miles on mine - as soon as I got my Schwinn done my boss asked me to do the Panama Jack for him and I just dropped it off a couple of days ago... now I am tearing the Schwinn down to get it painted and looking nice haha... I need to stop tinkering and start riding! But yeah if I am planning on getting to far from home I will carry a few tools and a cell phone haha

locell

Jan 16, 2010
mesa
Those panama jack huffys have always caught my eye. The integrated back rack on the panama jack frame is pretty cool, along with the bottle opener on the fork.

How are the frames? do they seem pretty solid with a motor on em?

If they "panama jacked" a 29er, that would be hard to beat.

iowaguy

Jun 30, 2011
iowa
I was surprised with the stiffness of the frame. I have been a bike guy for a long time and didn't have high expectations for a Huffy from Wal-Mart, but I was pretty surprised with the quality of this bike.