Motor starts, but stalls right away

GoldenMotor.com

generallee

Oct 15, 2008
Pennsylvania
I would try to start mine and thot it was running for a lilttle bit but then I relized it was only the rear wheel turning the motor -when i pulled in the clutch it would die- and it wasn't fireing. I got a new sparkplu for it and it started right up.

brobie

Aug 15, 2008
I don't know for sure if it would die if I were to pull in the clutch. I've got the clutch lever locked in and I start pedaling and release the lever and give it some throttle and as long as I keep pedaling it runs, sort of. The second I quit pedaling the motor dies. It is possible that what I think is running is only the rear wheel turning the motor. I do have another spark plug. I will check to see what the gap should be and install it. I never thought of spark because I thought it was starting and running briefly. Thank you, generallee. If it is the spark plug, than maybe it will be an easier fix than I thought. I'll let you know.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Push the tickler down for 5 seconds, give it half choke and full throttle and try it for 3-5 seconds.

If that won't start it, check the spark and fuel to make sure you have both.

brobie

Aug 15, 2008
Well, I still haven't got to ride my bike. I have spark and gas. I am wondering now if the clutch is the problem.
I have gone back through the archives and I believe I have tried every way to start that anyone has mentioned, and some twice. Here is the thing: I start out pedaling, then I release the clutch lever and give the bike some throttle. It sounds like the motor is running as long as I pedal, but I don't feel any kind of assist from the motor. I hear the motor and the pedaling gets harderwhen the clutch is released, but that's about it. When I quit pedaling, the motor dies. I think generalee asked if the motor dies when I pull in the clutch, it does, even if I continue to pedal my posterior off. I am going to read everything I can about the clutch, but in the meantime, does this additional information give anyone any ideas?Thank you.

brobie

Aug 15, 2008
I have thought of something I forgot to try in regard to the carb. I think someone mentioned that you should use silicon sealant under the air intake. How does that black plastic part come off? I think there was another place or two where sealant could be applied. Could someone tell me offhand where the other places are?

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
Check you electrical connections. How did you connect the wires coming from the engine? Which wire to which wire or to which part of the bicycle? Pay attention to the colors on the wires. And make sure none of the uninsulated part of the wires touch each other.

brobie

Aug 15, 2008
I used wire nuts and tape to make my connections. I will check them and make sure I did everything right. Thanks for your answer

Merlin

Sep 17, 2008
How cold is it where you are?
I've never touched the choke since I got the motor out of it's box and it starts first time every time. But I live in a hot environment [usually close on 30deg most days]. You might need some choke in a cold environment, I don't know...

brobie

Aug 15, 2008
Technocyclist,
I checked out the wiring today. I have removed the entire kill switch, "guts", wires, and button, as I have a new one on order. This only leaves the blue to blue, and black to black connections from the CDI to the motor. I put tape over the end of the white wire. Is this right or have I messed things up?
About the choke.....I have tried it in all different positions in combination with the throttle and the tickler and nothing seems to make much difference. I do appreciate the suggestion, though, Merlin.

brobie

Aug 15, 2008
I have some time to work on my bike today. Does anyone know if the way I have wired my bike, as described in the previous post, is o.k.? I want to try to get it going before my new kill switch arrives, and make sure I haven't messed things up. Thank you.

Motormac

Sep 23, 2008
Ontario Canada
Hi Brobie, thats the way to to wire it up, go ahead and see if you can get it running now.In the meantime use the choke to stop the engine.

Last edited:

brobie

Aug 15, 2008
IT RUNS!!!! Well, what do you know! Last night I unscrewed the wire between the spark plug cap and the CDI, and I cut a little bit off each end. Then I screwed it in very tighly on both ends. Today, I was experimenting again with different starting methods. Now, I previously checked the fuel supply by removing the gas line from the carb and putting it in a cup with the fuel valve in different positions. The only way fuel would flow was if the valve was vertical. This time I left the valve in the off position, didn't use the tickler and kept the choke lever down. I didn't expect it to start, but I was trying to go over various combinations of fuel valve, choke and tickler. I was totally surprised when the engine took off and carried me a half a block. Next I repeated what I did with the tickler and choke, but put the valve slightly off vertical. This time I was able to go up and down the block with no trouble. Didn't take much pedaling either. Of course I still have some tweaking to do, but tweaking is a lot more fun than troubleshooting. A big thank you to all who helped me. You are a great bunch of folks and I couldn't have done it without you!

MikeBike

Oct 7, 2008
Palm Springs CA.
IT RUNS!!!! Well, what do you know! Last night I unscrewed the wire between the spark plug cap and the CDI, and I cut a little bit off each end. Then I screwed it in very tighly on both ends. Today, I was experimenting again with different starting methods. Now, I previously checked the fuel supply by removing the gas line from the carb and putting it in a cup with the fuel valve in different positions. The only way fuel would flow was if the valve was vertical. This time I left the valve in the off position, didn't use the tickler and kept the choke lever down. I didn't expect it to start, but I was trying to go over various combinations of fuel valve, choke and tickler. I was totally surprised when the engine took off and carried me a half a block. Next I repeated what I did with the tickler and choke, but put the valve slightly off vertical. This time I was able to go up and down the block with no trouble. Didn't take much pedaling either. Of course I still have some tweaking to do, but tweaking is a lot more fun than troubleshooting. A big thank you to all who helped me. You are a great bunch of folks and I couldn't have done it without you!
ive been watchin this thred closly, and congrats!!!
these thangs are so great!!