New Dax FD Completed And Tested

GoldenMotor.com

dizzystheman

Dec 5, 2011
illinois
Just completed a Dax FD on a Schwinn Riverside Ladies bicycle and compared it to my Schwinn Riverside male bicycle powered by a Tanaka Purefire 2 stroke, 33cc engine with a light 5:1 gearbox and double right-sided chain drive with 11t/54t sprockets. The Dax is powered by a Robin EHO 35 and a 1 inch roller, which produces good low end torque and about 26 mph top speed, a perfect combination.

The Dax parts are very sturdy, includes all the hardware and is packaged well. We replaced the supplied 1.25 inch roller with the 1 inch roller, using a puller, per the new Dax video. The Robin has thru holes, so we used 1.75 inch mounting bolts rather than studs supplied in the kit. Both bikes tested well. Both are quiet, the Robin a little louder. It's easier to gearup the chain drive using a 14t drive sprocket than it is to change rollers on the Dax FD. Both bikes tested about the same, with the only difference being how the engines perform. The Tanaka wants to almost shift to a higher rpm power range for more torque, and after that it reach a fast, very smooth rpm range. It's very quiet for a 2 stroke. The Robin has better low end torque but both engines produces good top end speed. Both engines are exceptional. The advantage of the Dax FD is it installs quickly, almost on any bike, and the advantage of the chain drive is very durable, all weather performance, although the DAX FD can ride in snow and wet weather.

The throttles/kill switch is from DAX, a very nice combo after grinding off the inner plastic stub for tighter mounting.

Attachments

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I like the way you mounted the fuel tank on the opposite side of the rear wheel from the Robin.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Dizzy,
I too am running a Tanaka 32cc & a Subaru Robin EH035 on two of my MB's. I really like both engines & wouldn't be afraid to run either of them cross country. Your bikes are looking good!
Thanks for sharing,
-lowracer-

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Some nice looking cruisers there Dizzy (^) I'm surprised to hear the little Tanaka is quieter than the 4-stroke Robbins. If you ever wanted to go crazy or race your Schwinn you could just swap the 33cc for a Tanaka 47R or a GP 460 in a heartbeat. Just sayin' ;) That is a nice reliable pair of putt putts there!

dnut