Rear fender

GoldenMotor.com

Felix

Mar 26, 2012
Texas, USA.
I've seen some crusier bikes pic that have the rear fender still on. I thought they had to be removed. Do see the engines are really tilted though. How do I install the engine with the rear fender on? Wont the chain hit the fender? And they also have the chain guard on (orginal)..wee..we.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Removing fenders...at times the braces will break or the rivets come loose...and you don't want to see a fender coming off while underway. Fenders are nice and if yours, the OEM fenders, brace them good and do away with the rivets. There are aftermarket fenders out there that can hold up to the vibration of the engines.

On the choppers I have built, the chain will hit the fender....bench grinder takes care of this.

Kind of hard to see but I had to grind enough clearance for the chain.

As far as the engine tilt...what are you looking at? Yes some are tilted, in which case you might have to adjust the float.

As far as the chain guard, you need to mount the engine a little higher to clear the guard.
This was for a friend, and he wanted it this high, although I could of mounted the engine a little lower.

I wish I had a picture of the bike after he went home (150 miles away) and had pictures of the braces on his fenders. I wouldn't let him leave with the fenders on the bike.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
No reason to have to "tilt the engine". The engines mount in front of the seat tube so the fender doesn't effect engine position.I run rear fenders on my bikes because I don't like that streak up my back when there's water on the road and I don't want it sprayed into the carburetor.

We always suggest removing the front fenders or reinforcing the mounting on them due to several accidents where the fender broke loose and wrapped around the front wheel.
As for drive chain clearance, yes most rear fenders will need to be trimmed to allow the chain to clear but that's a small job with a good set of sheetmetal shears.

Tom