Where Can You Get a Grinding Thingy

GoldenMotor.com

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
I'm very sorry. I didn't know you were going to be here. Now I'll have to be much more careful about the words I use.

Yeah, like that's gonna happen.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I think the OP did OK with his wording.
He got very good results with 3 pages of helpful replies and one negative sarcastic reply.
So what if he couldn't think of the proper name for the thingy. Don't we all have moments like that?

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
they are sold at hware store as rotary file or the coarser rotary rasp.
any ace or true value should have them.
Probably for wood, so it wouldn't last for more than 1 or 2 sprockets, but that shouldn't be too high a cost???
rc

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
I think the OP did OK with his wording.
He got very good results with 3 pages of helpful replies and one negative sarcastic reply. So what if he couldn't think of the proper name for the thingy. Don't we all have moments like that?
That's exactly what happened. As it turns out, looks like the proper name for grinding thingys mounted on smallish arbors is "Mounted Points" Don't believe me, do an Ebay search.

I would like to thank everyone who responded with helpful ideas. I am in my late 60's, with limited verbal and mental skills. Also, I have no power tools except for a DeWalt Hand Drill. So I'm limited on the high precision side of things. I am trying to re-live my childhood motorbiking days and do it on a shoestring.

All I needed to do was remove somewhere between .005 and .010" from the ID of the sprocket hole. My tool of personal preference was a rotary grinding stone. If I had a drill press or a mill, I would have used a cutter. But I don't, so I didn't.

As it turned out, I was able to fit the sprocket to the wheel hub with a decent amount of precision. So I accomplished my mission.

Thanks again to all who offered helpful comments and emotional support.

.flg.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
moments? :)

I'm into days and weeks nowadays! lol

FB on the dremel tool points...
I know the ace and true value here in our 2 horse town have the rotary files to put in a hand drill, so that's why I spouted up with that answer for the 64k question. :)

but we also got a homedepot that has lots of dremel stuff.

lol and I must have missed fred was only trying to find a nice way to remove .005 - .010 ! I suppose I would have used a half round file or even some sandpaper for that amount.

Yah, are we to 4 pages yet?
Fred is a nice fellow and everyone wishes to help him out! :)

Really good group here on the forum!

Best
rc

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
I agree, it is an exceptional group! Rusty, you didn't miss where I said I only needed to remove .005 or so. I was so focused on finding my version of a grinding thingy, I neglected to include information on what I was trying to do.

The happy news is the sprocket now fits the hub very well and the sprocket installation is the best I've done so far. No up and down movement and minimal wobble, and this is using a rag joint (looks like an old snow tire) With the spring loaded chain tensioner, my chain drive is about as smooth as it can be.