Where Can You Get a Grinding Thingy

GoldenMotor.com

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
Yeah I know, what to call it, I have no idea. What I'm looking for is a 1/4 inch shaft with a 1 1/4 diameter grinding wheel about 1 inch tall. This would be a drill mounted grinder for enlarging sprocket center holes. I can't seem to find these things anywhere.

A tool this size would really help keep the center hole round. Small (dremel type) grinders can leave you with high and low spots inside the circumference of the hole.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Any hand held tool is prone to give you an inaccurate circle. That said, the inside diameter of the hole in the center of the sprocket doesn't need to be 100% concentric. It's the outer diameter, or the sprocket teeth that must run concentric to the hub. Even if the inner hole is off a little it will not effect the way it sets on the hub as long as it clears.
If you want to make it as close to round as you can get it, use a known round object of the diameter, you want and center it on the sprocket and mark it. That will give you a reference line to grind to. The important thing is getting the sprocket teeth to have no run out when the sprocket is installed and tightened.
Tom

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
I used to see them everywhere too. But in my small town, Ace doesn't have them, neither does Farm King, or Walmart. And because of my inability to come up with the correct name for this to do a search, I'm striking out all over.

What I'd appreciate knowing is where have you seen them on the interweb?

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I used to see them everywhere too. But in my small town, Ace doesn't have them, neither does Farm King, or Walmart. And because of my inability to come up with the correct name for this to do a search, I'm striking out all over.

What I'd appreciate knowing is where have you seen them on the interweb?
https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugex...or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=c0e94774f9e948be

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...13&_nkw=rotary+file&_sacat=See-All-Categories

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
From my experience, I wouldn't expect very good results trying to bore out the sprocket to the same diameter of the stone. Or even working the hole at all with any stone.
There will be too much surface area grinding at once, and the stone will wear away faster than the steel.

The best low tech way that I've seen is the video where the drillpress, 2 clamps, and a carbide burr is used. The carbide burr won't wear down, so it's bite is consistant and predictable.
A tiny bite is taken, and the sprocket is turned while against the 2 clamped stops enough to get another tiny overlapping drillpress bite ect. Then the drillpress is locked with quill down and the sprocket is slowly by hand rotated against the clamps to finish the hole.
This will center the hole perfecty,(prolly much better than factory) with the circumference of the sprocket.

Last edited: