What gear?

GoldenMotor.com

Len455

Mar 11, 2012
Phoenix az
So engines coming in thursday and im already thinking about future upgrades. What kind of gear do you think ill need? The engine is a pk-80 from pirate cycles and i live in arizona. Here in phoenix theres not to many hills but i go upnorth in summer where there are plenty. I will be going under 20mph in phoenix and i want to keep fuel consumption low but upnorth i dont care about fuel or speed. Thanks
Btw i weigh 125lbsusflg

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
it depends on how fast you really want to go.
it also depends on what size wheels and tires you're going to use.

you can have lots of low end torque and quick acceleration with a low top speed, or you can have minimal low end torque, slow acceleration and high top speed.
the stock gear (normally a 44 tooth) will get you around 25 - 30 mph top speed on a 26 inch wheel with decent low end torque and moderate acceleration.
go to a bigger gear (like a 56 tooth) and you'll gain low end torque and hill climbing power, but you'll lose top speed, and your fuel mileage will go down because your engine will rev higher at "normal" crusing speeds.
go to a smaller gear (like a 36 tooth) and you'll lose low end torque and hill climbing power, but you'll gain top end speed. your fuel mileage may go up because the engine won't be revving as high at "normal" crusing speeds.
"normal" being 15-20 mph.
the only way to get the best of both worlds is with a shifter kit, but you'd be looking at around #250.00 for one.