Morini the only engine choice? Lets see...

GoldenMotor.com

racing fan

Apr 17, 2011
Michigan
I have been looking and looking for a long time and I have found other engines that I think can push morini around a little.

Chinese f1 engine 39cc 7hp 15000 rpm (stock rated and can be modded for more)
Now it may not be as reliable as a morini also not as powerful as the 9.7 or 11.3 hp morini's But it only costs 250 and then you need to upgrade that crappy clutch ($50) so you in about 300-350 is you go for a really nice clutch. So it has a couple draw backs but the price is not to bad.

Chinese banshee engine water cooled 39cc or 49cc depends on the model you buy. 8hp 15000 rpm range and can be modded to get 13 hp.
Still not as reliable as a morini can be but the power is starting to be there and the price is $400 so still nice and cheap compared to the 9.7.

Peugeot 103 engine modded can be super powerful. There is kits from racing 50cc water cooled to 80cc air cooled with the best being really the 70cc Malossi kit with 6 ports. This engine has race cases out for it as well as cranks, power head kits, expansion chambers, and more. It is really easy to get 10+ hp out of this. engine uses a variator but can also use a centrifugal clutch if need be. This engine has been around and modded for years great little engine though could run you into $800 range if you go crazy on the mods. It costs the same as the morini's about but you can do more with the mods and the engine don't even half to cost more then $500 for a 5-6+hp range engine.

Puch e50 and za50 engines: The e50 is a one speed centrifugal clutch an the za50 is a 2 speed automatic or manual engine. There is a big performance market with these engines all the way from 50cc kits to 80cc. These engines will be easily modded to get 10+ hp and are proven designs. (1970's on)

Both the Puch and the Peugeot engines on mopeds have reached 120+ khm range or about 74-75+ mph and are about the same price as the morini's but you can do more with them and the 49cc kits will keep up or pass the morini's.

Important: I am not saying morini's are bad engines or anything of the like.(actually I like them a lot) I am just trying to tell people about some engines that might do better for them before they buy a morini. (never hurt's to hunt around)

jowens

Jul 25, 2011
Webster Fl
Awsome little read for me there racing fan......cool to see there are options for high performance 2 strokes

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
the Tomos A55 seems to be pretty popular, also.
there are a lot of them around here.
Unfortunately, it amazes me how all the mopeds seem to be holding their value, really well!
At least from CL, the asking price is always more than I'd ever want to pay for any of the mopeds.
I might like to 'step up', but then I think about the moped license fee and the M2 license, wearing a helmet, and all that stuff.
I'm pretty happy with my .under 30mph, minimal impact, lowly HP bicycle.

...just gotta get the right baskets/trailer for cargo, though...

Best
rc

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
To the mod that moved this post, this was not a Morini specific thread. On the contrary it was about the alternative to Morini motors that the general populace of these boards would be interested in. To move this post to the Morini forum means a lot of people that would like to see this thread, now wont.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
Told ya. Ever since someone moved this post here people have stopped reading and commenting on it. I was very interested in what different people had to say on this subject but now you've killed it by moving it here, where it should not have been in the first place. This is NOT a post about Morini motors, it IS a post about the motors that are comparable to a Morini but are NOT Morini motors.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Well I'm done with 2-strokes these days for the most part, but.........I was on the Polini trail as a worthy alternative to the Morini's.

My answer now is larger 4-strokes as they are cheaper and a lot easier on your ears laff. Enter my 212cc HF Predator and such. Or how to "out Morini" a Morini ;)

dnut