Tight fit (real tight!) Pulse by Kettler comfort bike-Sick Shifter Kit

GoldenMotor.com

i-paint

May 24, 2008
I recently changed the crank side sprocket on the shifter kit to an eleven tooth. It makes it better for crusing. The engine turns less rpms at speed. It added one mph to the top end, the one time I tested it. It runs faster in the lower gears though. The freewheel on the back wheel was a six speed. The 1st gear was a 28 tooth and with the higher gearing on the shifter kit it didn't take off as well. Even pedaling I would have to give it more throttle than before when taking off from a stopped position. I killed the engine a few times. I bought a seven speed freewheel from the local bike shop which has a 34 tooth 1st gear and a 14tooth 7th gear. They installed the freewheel for free(it just unscrews if you have the tool) as I had to buy a derailleur and shifter for the new freewheel. I installed the derailleur and shifter. None of this change was difficult and cost $56.00 for all of it. You have to fiddle with the derailleur to get it right but still not difficult. The bike will take off and pull better than before (I changed to the 11 tooth) in 1st (I always pedal a little from a dead stop) and all the higher gears are better for crusing as well. I think it is an improved setup.

jerseykat1

my shifter kit is on the way to me. i am on the east coast sbp is on the west coast so i might not get it until friday. But i cant wait, my engine starts to vibrate excessively from over reving at about 25mph, with my stock sprocket. So i should be able to cruise at 25mph now as my "80cc" motor seems to have a good amount of mid range power. my bike has 7 gears in the back, which i hope gives me a wide enough range.

i-paint

May 24, 2008
I drilled the rivets and pulled the cap off the muffler on my pipe today. It was packed with fiberglass(i guess that is what it is). I pulled most of it out. I also drilled a welding wire that was across the opening of the inner pipe. I replace the cap with screws. I hit 38 mph on level road twice today. This is up from 36 mph previously. The muffler is the only change I made. It isn't much louder at all. Thought I would pass this along! Oh yeah, I have 393 miles on the bike now.

jerseykat1

where did you get the expansion chamber? does the wider crank that came with the shifter kit give the clearance needed for the pull start or is your engine higher then your crank arms? i just installed the shifter kit and i am thinking of getting a pull start. But i am definitely getting an expansion chamber just having a difficult time finding one that's not for a larger motor.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
jersey, you can find that same pipe on ebay cheaper. And all you need to mount it is some copper fittings, silicone tubing, hose clamps and a hack saw. If you want the details just send me a PM.

i-paint

May 24, 2008
jerseykat, Using the sledge wasn't a very "controlled" procedure lol. I only needed an 1/8" or so. You can shop around for the pipe but the link shows you the type I bought.

pole-sitter

Oct 20, 2008
weeki wachee, florida
nice set-up
don't understand the 'Shifter" stuff uyr talking about ...is it the rear derailer and sprokeets???
liked the ''jack shaft" idea used to transfer power over to the original drive sprocket... was this orig./home made or purchased ???

i-paint

May 24, 2008
The jackshat transfers the power from the engine to one of two sprockets on the crank. The other sprocket and chain goes to the wheel and you shift the original gears just as you would if you were pedaling.