No more Morini's

GoldenMotor.com

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
scratg
Just got off the phone with Herdan --she said they just went to the Morini factory and met with the new owners she saw engines there in Italy and they are now in the process of reorganizing the factory but they will be producing again all the small engines !!

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
scratg
Just got off the phone with Herdan --she said they just went to the Morini factory and met with the new owners she saw engines there in Italy and they are now in the process of reorganizing the factory but they will be producing again all the small engines !!
That is truly beautiful news these motors are real jewels!(^)

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
scratg
That is great news, they didn't happen to =give any sort of lead time did they?
So it was sold? I hope they don't try and cut cost/quality in order to increase profit.

Kristof

Jan 21, 2011
Aliso Viejo, CA
I read on a website that Morini Franco Motori does not equal Morini Motori. They said that they are 2 different companies.

I also somewhere that Morini Franco Motori changed its name to Morini Franco SpA or something like that.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
It seems Franco Morini Motori bought Moto Morini at the start of the economic collapse and it drug Franco Morini down with it, bankrupting all. New owners sold off the Moto Morini brand and tooling and are regrouping the Motori Morini Franco as Morini Franco SpA. New product should be coming out first of the year with contracts with bike manufactures filled first. They order hundreds of motors so are the prime concern.

FarRider

Jun 8, 2011
Brooklyn N.Y.
Thats just the way it is...ITALIANS do it better as far as 2 strokes are concerned.
The larger Japanese 4 strokes and there Chinese clones are large, heavy and dont "look" right when frame mounted.
I've built and ridden both for many years.
We need to move forward and forsake the gasoline burning engine, local laws are catching up with us and soon now the authority's will crack down hard on our sport.
From now on I build only electrics, dual 48v, 20ah brick batteries, dual 1000w hub motors front and rear and a 50 amp "smart" controller circuit with stronger regenerative capabilities, the set up makes China dolls look primitive and Morinis look like steam engines and best of all they are silent.
ALL HAIL THE GODDESS VELOCITY!

FR

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Thats just the way it is...ITALIANS do it better...
... unless IT has anything to do with be being the captain of a giant cruise ship.
Sorry FarRider, I couldn't help it, the press is already calling that Italian 'Captain Coward, the Chicken of the Sea'. ;-}

I was looking into getting a Morini, Benelii, or some other Italian 2-stroke gas motor awhile back but like you looked elsewhere.

Though I very much want to get into practical electric bikes since I live in Phoenix and an electronics guy, we differ on how to get the most bang for the buck.

My thing is using gears, specifically the bicycles gears and I'll put my 3-speed Jackshafted performance enhanced 66cc Skyhawk up against a direct drive Morini anytime, which brings me to your dual electric hub system...

I don't want to go off-topic here so I'll PM you but your system sounds very expensive, like over $2000 just for the wheels and electrical system, or am I way off base here?

magrider

Aug 24, 2010
OrangeCounty, CA
KCvale, you have a perfect opportunity to race against the Morinis on March 17 Adams raceway in Riverside, CA, and April 7 Grange raceway in Apple Valley, CA.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
My thing is using gears, specifically the bicycles gears and I'll put my 3-speed Jackshafted performance enhanced 66cc Skyhawk up against a direct drive Morini anytime, which brings me to your dual electric hub system...
You are dreaming.. laff

I had a Morini geared on a N.V. hub and I had a china AKA ''Happy Time''. Peice of work on a geared set up AKA SBP.. .

A China ''HT'' is not a Morini it will never put out out 10 plus Horse power..

I needed that LAMO.. :)

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
KCvale, you have a perfect opportunity to race against the Morinis on March 17 Adams raceway in Riverside, CA, and April 7 Grange raceway in Apple Valley, CA.
Hey Magrider,
Speaking of Morini's...how's your bike coming along.
It's going to be a "Kick Butt" season and one exciting year of MB racing!!!

GH,
You should try to make it to one of these races!

FarRider

Jun 8, 2011
Brooklyn N.Y.
No offense taken KCvale...
Id be amenable to move this over to the Electric bike threads.
Maybe together we can figure out a better mouse trap.

I agree with you 100% on the Jackshaft/gear set up.

I run a Morini S6-s, with an SBP Exp.pipe with custom made 24" long X 3/4" head pipe, on a SBP shift kit (custom made mounts) and I run a shimano 42t chain ring and a 9 speed, 11t/36t cassette and an XT derailleur, I find this gives a good range of gearing for riding city streets were top speed isn't as important as acceleration.

So far, after a 2 tank full, 25:1 Castrol 2 stroke/premium gas mix break in period, I've thinned out the mix to 35:1.
Its getting 120mpg so far with less smoke.
I had to loosen up the clutch a little because it was like an on/off switch, now she slip's a little first before locking up.

Top Speed so far on level ground, with me riding, hauling a 300+pound load, no wind condition, has been 48+ mph, With my 165lb friend in the saddle shes done 54mph with a little left over.
Those numbers dont take its broad torque band into account, this thing really pulls away with authority, I can power lift the front wheel easily.

Lets take up the electro set up in that thread.
FR

Last edited:

FarRider

Jun 8, 2011
Brooklyn N.Y.
Most you'll get reliably out of a "HT" china girl is 4 or 5 HP, been there done that and I got a box of blown HT engines to prove it!
Its not even fair to compare an HT to ANY Morini. Even the S6T will kick a china girls butt.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
That's why I got two S6C Motors one converted S6T more power now and a S6S.. :D Just cant beat the reliability with the added raw power. I have had the jug off one and got to say there is not even a band aid for reporting a HT jug in my opinion.. You would have to simply start over and cast a different H.T. jug all together new..

With the jugs on these and even the added scavenging ports..These pigs flat out breath!:)

The only H.T. conversion would be a Puch Jug .. Proper porting would be well done with such a jug then, but after that still got to engineer a clutch for it.. My Morini's for me..my money is well spent. Love it! These babies were born into racing and engineered to take the abuse! There for no experimenting here lol..

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
I think Herdan still has those for sale. It's not a desireable motor for the gearheads that run Morini. Most are looking for the ones that are over 5 horse power or so.

Although I'm sure in it's class it's the best you can get :)

Oh, and welcome, new guybrflg