80cc engine will not start...

GoldenMotor.com

SA1JBond007

Sep 17, 2008
Hello, I am new to the forum, glad i found it.

i have had my motorized bicycle for about a year...

i first installed the 80cc engine and custom exhaust and mounting for a OCC schwinn chopper bike. we had it running and traveling quite well after a few attempts. we put it away and got it out the next day, i ran it for about 45 minutes after two attempts at starting it.

the day after i had it started and was running well for 10 minutes and then it stalled out and could not ever get it started again. to this day (months later) still can not get it to start using new spark plug, proper gas mixture, etc. we know the engine is not seized, it just will not start. please, any recommendations would be a great help...

if you need anymore information from me i will do the best to provide more to you. thanks again.

OSCAR383

Jul 22, 2008
WEST FRANKFORT, IL
I Would First Disconnect The Kill Switch . Many Of Those Are Bad From The Start . Try And Start Engine If It Does Not Start Pedal For A While And Pull Spark Plug And See If It Is Wet If Not You Are Not Getting Fuel . If It Is Your Nor Getting Spark . Other Things To Check Are The Fuel Filter ,if No Fuel, The Ht Tanks Come Shipped With A But Load Of Crap In Them And Can Clog The Stock Filter In The Tank . An In Line Filter Is Recommended And Also Make Sure The Connections On Your Wires Are Tight If Using Factory Wiring. . Hope This Helps

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
pull the spark plug and reconnect it to the wire and rest the plug on the head. pick up the bike and spin the tire with the clutch engaged. You oughta see a spark.

Tj Bunch

Jun 18, 2008
Also makesure your clutch is adjusted properly......Mine had me cahsing my tail and buying a crapload of parts and cable was too tight.

SA1JBond007

Sep 17, 2008
the plug is wet when we pull it out and there is a spark when we pull it from the engine and spin tire.

what is the best way to find leaks??

is there somewhere i can purchase parts other than chasing them on ebay?? would replacing the gaskets on the whole engine make a difference at all??

what if the kill switch is bad? i hadnt tried disconnect that yet... would it go bad during operation? because it was fine for the first few days with it connected.

Biker Mike

Mar 21, 2008
Cropwell Alabama
the plug is wet when we pull it out and there is a spark when we pull it from the engine and spin tire.

what is the best way to find leaks??

is there somewhere i can purchase parts other than chasing them on ebay?? would replacing the gaskets on the whole engine make a difference at all??

what if the kill switch is bad? i hadnt tried disconnect that yet... would it go bad during operation? because it was fine for the first few days with it connected.
Yes, the kill switch can go bad that fast. Disconnect it and try the engine. A little moisture will cause a short in it as well. One I had lasted only 2 days and shorted out. Took me 3 days to figure it out....Grrrrrr!! Having fun now. Good luck. :)

SA1JBond007

Sep 17, 2008
Yes, the kill switch can go bad that fast. Disconnect it and try the engine. A little moisture will cause a short in it as well. One I had lasted only 2 days and shorted out. Took me 3 days to figure it out....Grrrrrr!! Having fun now. Good luck. :)
took you three days to figure out? i will try it soon... it would be months for me before i have figured it out... lol

anyone know of a good place to find parts? or anyway to put a electric or pull start on this engine??

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
If you get some RTV sealer and take off the manifold, coat both sides of the gasket with a thin coat, and re assemble, you won't have to worry about air leaks.

Also, try using only half choke. None of my kits would start with full choke.

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
I just did my first (a new 80 cc) and it was hard to start and wouldn't restart after running. The plug showed lots of spark, but was bad. I used a good brand and now it runs great.

Biker Mike

Mar 21, 2008
Cropwell Alabama
I just did my first (a new 80 cc) and it was hard to start and wouldn't restart after running. The plug showed lots of spark, but was bad. I used a good brand and now it runs great.
I had one that showed lots of spark but would not start. Problem was the blue and black wires were crossed. It threw the spark timing off. Wouldn't hurt to check it. :confused:

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
Same thing happen to me. Had lots of spark but it would not start. Tried a new plug but just matched by looks sence no parts store could cross referance the china plug. Got the right plug and it started.
here is the cross referances I fount.
NGK BR4HS Autolite 425 Bosch 4214 and Bosch 7502

the_edge150

Dealer
Aug 21, 2008
Monrovia,CA
unscrew the spark plug, and roll the bike with the plug still plugged in and touching the motor. if there is no spark you might have a short somewhere keeping it from sparking

SA1JBond007

Sep 17, 2008
OK, there is spark with the plug laying on the engine and connected, tried with disconnecting the kill switch and still no luck... doesn't seem to be any air leaks and there is definitely fuel getting to the plug.

i will have to try a new plug... thanks for those cross references.

also..anyone have another good fuel mixture to try??

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Try starting it with the choke 2/3 of the way on... then while pedaling real hard, reach over with your left hand & move the choke a little in each direction while finding the "sweet spot" on the throttle!!!!!!

Some bikes are just very hard to start, & you just have to find the right spot on the choke to get them going!