Morini S6-S Big Bore Build

GoldenMotor.com

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
nice caddie, please tell us more about the piston mod's [where how & who] nice work how you do the rear hub/sprocket mount? thanks dennis

Last edited:

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
The project looks like its coming along pretty good. If I was to give any advice, just make sure the carb is leveled. Can wait to see the finished bike.

DFlanagan

May 23, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO
nice caddie, please tell us more about the piston mod's [where how & who] nice work how you do the rear hub/sprocket mount? thanks dennis
Hey Dennis on the hub and sprocket, I purchased a Nashbar rear hub with a disk brake mount, bought new spokes, and had my rear wheel laced and trued. The hub adapter I am using is called a top hat sprocket adapter. It attatches to the brake mount on the hub and the sprocket attatches to it. The top hat adapter comes in two offsets, .25" and .125". I believe this is the best way to attach a sprocket to a bicycle wheel. For the piston mod I have mentioned it in previous theads. Here is some pics.

Morini Build 008.JPG

Morini Build 010.JPG

DFlanagan

May 23, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO
I went ahead and bought some header wrap for my exhaust. I also purchased a chrome gas tank from JNMotors (last resort). I am waiting for my .625" sealed flanged bearings to come in so I can finish my chain tensioner. Hopefully I can have this bike on the road by this weekend! Here's a couple pics.

036 (1024x768).jpg 037 (1024x768).jpg

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
I went ahead and bought some header wrap for my exhaust. I also purchased a chrome gas tank from JNMotors (last resort). I am waiting for my .625" sealed flanged bearings to come in so I can finish my chain tensioner. Hopefully I can have this bike on the road by this weekend! Here's a couple pics.

View attachment 41920 View attachment 41921
Thats a sick pipe I love it. I can TIG you up a behind the seat jug style tank if you really need one (based on a vintage motorcycle oil reservoir ). Just out of curiosity how much was your S6s with all the machine work?

DFlanagan

May 23, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO
Well, after re-mounting the motor not once, not twice, but three times (thanks to Dave for bringing the motor position issue to my attention). I finally got my bike together. I tell you what you DO NOT want a 16 yrs. old kid on this. Great acceleration , great top end, and still breaking it in. It's almost to the point of "too much power for a mountain bike". Love it! I will post some videos on youtube. I'm thinking of having my exhaust pipe bent a little more to level out the silencer. Here's some pics.

001.JPG [/ATTACH]

Attachments

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Cool! This ended up being a real nice build. I have an ItaliJet pipe that looks like its been pounded with a pipe but it was done at the factory to clear the motor and frame it came from.

And, yeah, that's not a bike for a kid. Seems like none of them have any idea of how to own a bike like this. When they break things mama is supposed to get a new, better one that won't break. I wouldn't let my now 20 year old ride my bike, I know how he is...

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Good job on the finished product, I wasn't ready for how violent these motors are when they are wound up either. What is your rear sprocket tooth count? Did you get your clutch dialed in?

DFlanagan

May 23, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO
Good job on the finished product, I wasn't ready for how violent these motors are when they are wound up either. What is your rear sprocket tooth count? Did you get your clutch dialed in?
I am running a 11 tooth up front and a 52 tooth on a 26" rim. I'm still on my first gallon of gas. I'm waiting on finishing this gallon before I get on the throttle. The clutch will be next. I know this, it cruises with traffic pretty well!

gera229

Sep 4, 2011
USA
The clutch is a centrifugal clutch, so I do not think it requires any clutch fluid since it is automatic engagement with clutch pads.

gera229

Sep 4, 2011
USA
Hmm that's pretty interesting to me. I wonder how that works. Haven't heard of a centrifugal clutch that needs an oil bath before because if it oils the pads it could cause slipping?
Do you own a morini engine cory?

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Morini's have 2 versions of oil bath clutches, the 2 shoe and the stronger 3 shoe model. You can vari performance by using different oils, too. But I'm told Belray 80w(or is it 85)is the stuff to use.

When I raced gokarts the more expensive clutches were oil bath, too.

Barnfresh

Sep 5, 2011
Nor-Cal
Since you mentioned gokarts, if you want to seriously increase reliability and have a clutch that is super easy to tune, consider getting a Tomar clutch for your Morini. I know their kart clutches are some of the best in the industry.

DFlanagan

May 23, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO
Since you mentioned gokarts, if you want to seriously increase reliability and have a clutch that is super easy to tune, consider getting a Tomar clutch for your Morini. I know their kart clutches are some of the best in the industry.
They are the best clutches out there that I can find. But for $410.00 + shipping (Holeshot Clutch & Installation Kit), I would rather go with a S6 High Performance Complete Clutch Kit for $189.99 + shipping and deal with the washers. Just my opinion.

Barnfresh

Sep 5, 2011
Nor-Cal
Yea D I know where you're coming from. Unless you're racing it's hard to justify spending 400 bucks on a clutch, especially when you can get a complete kit for half that. Just be sure you're spending good money on an OEM (Franco Morini) clutch, not one of the lesser quality knockoffs.

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Hmm that's pretty interesting to me. I wonder how that works. Haven't heard of a centrifugal clutch that needs an oil bath before because if it oils the pads it could cause slipping?
Do you own a morini engine cory?
Yes I do it the S6s Morini.

gera229

Sep 4, 2011
USA
Ok, good to know.
No one is in stock with the S6s for me to buy lol.

I think the right way to position it is with the text on the side of the morini to sit horizontally leveled.

DFlanagan

May 23, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO
Ok, good to know.
No one is in stock with the S6s for me to buy lol.

I think the right way to position it is with the text on the side of the morini to sit horizontally leveled.
I can tell you from experience (remounting mine 3 different times), you really want to get that motor as horizontal as possible or you will have clutch lubricating problems. You should download the service manual and look at the way the clutch fluid rests inside of the clutch cover. The clutch should partially sit in the fluid when your bike is horizontal to the ground. It's better to learn this now before you weld your motor mounts to your bike.