First time. Whats the best engine?

GoldenMotor.com

jtwilson3

Sep 23, 2011
Indiana
Hey all, I am sure this has been asked thousands of times but I am new. You can post here or send me to other threads but I am posting for my needs. I am wanting to get a motor for my mountain bike. I believe it is 24-26". My mom is giving me one and a really nice one. I wanted this because the tires are huge and are good for snow. I want:
Something just to get me around my college campus
Something that goes at least 25MPH ( I know that weight makes a difference. I am only 150 pounds)
I do like a little speed but just want something that is fun
I want it to be quiet.
I would like to spend about $150. But I am a college student so cheaper is always better.
I obviously want it to last. I do like kick starting stuff so that is not a problem lol
I think by what I have read in about 2 posts I am leaning towards a 4-stroke.

I found this engine:
Silver Flying Horse 66cc/80cc Bike Motor Kit - Silver Flying Horse 66cc/80cc Motorized Bicycle Motor Kits

There are so many different motors on that site. I have NO CLUE what the difference between them all are. If anyone wants to start me off. Explain to me about bikes and motors. Give me a little rundown etc. Any help would be much appreciated.

Just post your engines you think are good, where to get them, and any other information. Thank you so much.

Josh Wilson

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO
the link you posted is for a 2 stroke so saying your 150 pounds on 26 inch wheels your looking at out of the box no mods 25 30 mph easy

for a 4 stroke Bicycle Engines, Motorized Bicycles, Bicycle Motors, Motored Bikes: 2-Stroke & 4-Stroke Kits! wants 380 for a basic 4 stroke

and gas bikes . com wants about 350 thats realy the best deals on the 4 strokes i know of right now

and the creme de le creme of bike kits would be the golden eagle bike kits quite pricey though 600 plus worth every nickle though

so 2 strokes more power for size cheaper less well made ( in my run ins with them )

4 stroke biger less noise easier to put on in my luck easier to start in the winter

with any of these kits for less than 50 bones plus the kit you should be able to do around 35 plus easy if youre willing to pedal on realy big long hills (lower sprocket size more top end lower aceleration )

any of the vendors advertiseing on here seem to be pretty good

if i were you id save up and get a 4 stroke kit

sorry if i rambled for a little bit

jtwilson3

Sep 23, 2011
Indiana
Well I just wanted to spend like the $150 dollars. If I were going to spend 350-400 I was just going to buy a used Moped which I can actually carry someone else on also you know? That is why I was trying to not spend that much. SO why are 2 strokes not good? What is the problem with them? I was thinking and I honestly don't care about noise...

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
For your budget you only have one choice and that is the 2 stroke China Girl. They are less expensive because there is less to them and they are generally of rougher quality in the manufacturing... yet many of us here started out with one in a kit and both rode the heck out of them and learned a whole lot in the process. That engine is also smaller and will fit into more bike frames than many of the larger engines. For myself I have "graduated" and either want a four stroke engine or a very good quality 2 stroke which is well beyond your spending plan.
So, given your budget, you want a China Girl. Not terribly loud, pretty simple to install on most bikes. You will need to install it well, perform regular maintenance and be prepared to tinker with it on a regular basis until you get everything dialed in.
A used moped sounds good unless you need to invest money in it. Parts can be very expensive. A nice thing about the China Girl is that parts and upgrades are readily available and like your college experience, you will learn a lot. If your budget changes, well then that opens up other options. As it is, you have one, so go for it, ask questions as you go and have fun! It is your first motorbike and not necessarily your last. Now, which vendor? Which kit?
SB

jtwilson3

Sep 23, 2011
Indiana
Is China girl a brand? Or is it just a name to describe what it is? And I don't want to spend 300-400 on my first one because I know I will screw it up and I don't want to do that. As you said, I want to learn how to do everything first...

And as for brand I was thinking this:
NEW 80cc / 66cc Gas Bike Engine Motorized Bike Bicycle Motor Kit

Or maybe even these but I don't know which one to get:
GasBike.net - 2 Stroke Gas Bike Motor Kits - 2 Stroke Gas Bicycle Engine Kits

What would you suggest? What is the best one for its money?

And I don't need it to last forever. I will have more money years in the future. If it would last about 5 years without any problems I would be COMPLETELY satisfied honestly.

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
My 2cents, stay away form gasbike, kings bikes. they are owned by the same nuts. Lots of bad stories.... Stick with all the other sites that are advertised on the sides of this forum. China girls are a name we've name these 49 and 66cc engines cuz they are made in china factories and are cruddy quality. They are rather cheap, all the nuts and bolts loosen up constantly. The stock mufflers tend to fall apart. You'll need to replace the stock spark plug with atleast a ngk bh6s. If the kit doesn't come with the nt carb, you'll want it. The cns aint worth a flip unless your very experience with these and even the... These engines will last 10,000miles if u take VERY GOOD CARE of it, the gears need greasing every 50 or so miles. They tend to brake down when your not expecting it too. They overall are crappy. But for the first 1-3 years, u should be ok. Just don't rev it to death, or anything else that will wear it out faster. Takes 500miles to break in. etc etc etc. Treat it like a baby and you'll be ok. I'm sure i missed a few things, if anybody else that knows what else this guy needs, feel free to add it.

XenonDream

Feb 22, 2010
Arizona
As someone who's built and run both 2-stroke and 4-stroke kits, there is no comparison. "China girl" motors are cheaply-built and very quirky. If you purchase one, be prepared to perform seemingly constant maintenance, tightening bolts, greasing gears, replacing small parts that wear out quickly, etc.
If this is going to be your primary transportation, don't, don't, DON'T go the cheap route. A 4-stroke will provide the longevity and reliability you're looking for. Drop the $3-400 on a 4-stroke motor. You can't put a price tag on peace of mind. I've been riding mine 16 miles round trip to work every day for a year and have spent $0 in repairs. I guarantee you won't be so fortunate with a 2-stroke. Not even close.

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
Do you have your own tools and familiar with mechanical stuff? Is it just for fun, or will you depend on it?
If you use it for transportation, and you don't want to have to be working on it, you are better of waiting untill you have more money, and get a new or used Suburu/friction drive.
If you want a toy, something to spend time working on and honing your mechanical skills, then buy as cheap as you can.
One last thing, the China girl requires mixing gas and oil, and having a container of fuel at a dorm is probably not allowed.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Hey all, I am sure this has been asked thousands of times but I am new. You can post here or send me to other threads but I am posting for my needs. I am wanting to get a motor for my mountain bike. I believe it is 24-26". My mom is giving me one and a really nice one. I wanted this because the tires are huge and are good for snow. I want:
Something just to get me around my college campus
Something that goes at least 25MPH ( I know that weight makes a difference. I am only 150 pounds)
I do like a little speed but just want something that is fun
I want it to be quiet.
I would like to spend about $150. But I am a college student so cheaper is always better.
I obviously want it to last. I do like kick starting stuff so that is not a problem lol
I think by what I have read in about 2 posts I am leaning towards a 4-stroke.

I found this engine:
Silver Flying Horse 66cc/80cc Bike Motor Kit - Silver Flying Horse 66cc/80cc Motorized Bicycle Motor Kits

There are so many different motors on that site. I have NO CLUE what the difference between them all are. If anyone wants to start me off. Explain to me about bikes and motors. Give me a little rundown etc. Any help would be much appreciated.

Just post your engines you think are good, where to get them, and any other information. Thank you so much.

Josh Wilson
My opinion for a college student who is short on $$, time, skills and tools...don't do it.

Asking a bicycle to be dependable, require little maintenance and cruise @ 25 mph is asking too much.

My opinion? Do like how billions of people do worldwide. Pedal a bicycle.

Okay, if you MUST have one, get a Honda 35 or Subaru four-stroke engine w/friction drive. Expect to cruise @ 20mph.