1940 CCM twin bar for boardtracker

GoldenMotor.com

jamie7

Sep 5, 2011
ontario
Hi,

I just picked up a 1940 CCM twin bar that I'm in the process of restoring. gonna do a boardtracker.

Already partly disassembled, brought up the chrome, sitting with stripper on it right now.

But here are a couple of questions:
The frame is real heavy - all steel - so thats good as far as motor stress.
But, will a 28" (x1 1/2") wheel hold up to the stress of the drive sprocket? Has anyone done one of these with the big thin wheel?
If not then what would be the best wheel to put it it's place. The 28" gives some nice height to the bike - -don't really want to loose that. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Last edited:

jamie7

Sep 5, 2011
ontario
Hi,

Sorry - just a 2stroke kit. I've got a couple of them mounted on other bikes that I'm not too happy withso I'm gonna transfer one over to this bike when I'm done. Just never ran one on these big thin 28" wheels before - looking for someone who's done it to chime in.

Thanks

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
I think if you use a 50 tooth rear sprocket it will be about even with a smaller sprocket on a smaller wheel. It will prevent you from lugging the engine too much.

jamie7

Sep 5, 2011
ontario
Thanks for the advice.

Here is the frame stripped down:

Here it is primed with 2 coats of primer:

I just got 2 coats of matte black and 2 coats of matte clearcoat on it today. Right now I'm trying to decide on whether to keep the original front forks with truss rods or put on a set of suspension forks I have from a mtn bike that are a perfect fit.

I picked up a retro saddle in brown leather with rivets and an old 6 volt flash light for a headlamp:

I'll update as I progress.

Thanks for looking

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Please please please dont fit mountain bike suspension forks.... sure it will handle good but wont suit that beautiful frame you have..... but thats just my $0.02...... good luck with the build. Im interested to see if the 28" wheels hold up as i also have a 28" bicycle

jamie7

Sep 5, 2011
ontario
Hi,

Yeah I hear ya Harry - that's my same dilemna. The original forks are elegant looking and original. The mtb forks would look motorcyclish - but that stupid big inverted "U" support bar is so telltale of a modern add-on. If I were to use them I was thinking of hiding the "U" under the headlamp perhaps. When the paint dries i'll take a look at both in place - maybe post photos of both and take a poll.

jamie7

Sep 5, 2011
ontario
Thanks - amazing what you can find in thrift stores - $5

Got the bike assembled today. Will post pics tomorrow hopefully.

jamie7

Sep 5, 2011
ontario
Hey,

Yeah, I wasn't too worried about the engine - more the long spokes being pulled and warping the wheel. I don't think one size up or down would really change that possibility. If anything probably smaller would be better - closer to the hub and support point for the spokes. I'll probably just use the standard drive sprocket. Now I just have to grind out the center to 1 1/2" for the massive coaster hub. Not looking forward to it.

I'm tempted to put 26" wheels on there just to avoid that. But I'd have to find some 3/32 rear sprocket since the front is one piece and uses a standard chain.

Anyway, here's where she stands today. Everything original back on except the handlebars:

Still have the layback seatpost and saddle, headlight, working on tank idea, etc... But at least she's back together.

BTW - no, there wasn't a hurricane in my yard - just on a couple of tangents right now, ha ha.

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
WOW that bike is gorgeous, you gotta run 28's (youve made me wanna run my 28's as well) because that bike is near perfect..... I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111

jamie7

Sep 5, 2011
ontario
Thanks Harry,

I like it. She's got potential. Got a layback post and saddle on yesterday and took her out for a spin. Rides nice but I noticed the rear wheel needs to be trued. Its a rainy day here today so no backyard build time. I'll keep posting progress.

Thanks for looking

jamie7

Sep 5, 2011
ontario
Wow! Thanks for those pic links, Harry. I hadn't come across the Evans as a design model - you just gave me some inspiration. Now I know which way to take this build.

I've actually got a 4stroke 48cc weedwacker motor with integral centrifigal clutch sitting in a box brand new - I fired it up to see once when I bought it to see how it runs and it purrs quiet as a kitten. I may have to bolt a 20" rim on the rear wheel of this bike and try mounting that thing for a belt drive like I think I saw on the Evans. What do you think?

I may need to weld some support bracket across the front of the clutch shaft to support the load of a drive belt but it should be pretty simple.

The only other thing I need to figure out is how to take the plastic housing off the side of the motor with the pull starter without messing that up. Back to the work bench.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I used a 20" rim and made brackets to mount it.... and im very happy with the belt drive, it would be a lot more work but helps with the vintage look

Or you could buy the whizzer sheave and mounting equipment (they mount to the spokes).

And im sorry i cant advise you about your weedwacker motor as im not that knowledgable with engines, and ive never played with weedwacker engines..... but if you ask the same questions regarding your engine in the DIY section im sure someone over there would be happy to help you out.

jamie7

Sep 5, 2011
ontario
Thanks for the mounting info - very helpful. Your way actually looks like it may be stronger than the whizzer spoke mount I saw - less torque on the spokes.

I browsed DIY already but I'll do another search. Sometimes it's best just to get in there and get dirty anyway.

Got pics of a layback post I rigged up and a temporary saddle until I can get hold of a vintage one or make my own. I've got some buckskin and moosehide around from moccassin making so I may go that route.

handle bar extension and seat post:

I ended up flipping it with the post in tube and ext in saddle - but here it is the first way I tried it:

looks better the other way round but i didn't take a pic of it yet.

Thanks for looking

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
There is a member who is going to send me an drawing of an idea he has to make a seat like the Evans. I'll send it on when I get it.

My guess is he will use a snowmobile spring anchored to the frame but I don't know what you could use for the rear seat springs but I'm certain Curt will come up with something.
He is making Silverbear and I Indian front forks with a leaf spring.

Steve.

jamie7

Sep 5, 2011
ontario
Nice. I'll look forward to seeing what he comes up with. I noticed two of the bikes harry posted didn't have the leaf spring up front. Was that original to the Evans or added from another design? Sure looks cool though.

I guess there'll be some variation since I read that the Evans was sold as both an add on motor and a complete MB. So probably alot of them got put on other rides.

That tank is gonna be a humdinger to fab. My twin bars are only a couple inches apart - I'll have to wrap around the bottom bar or something. Any ideas?