Monark Springer Warning !!!

GoldenMotor.com

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
I recently found another weak spot in the Monark springer.
I'm 200 lbs and have around 2500 mi on my bike and springer.
The issue i had is the head nut striped from all the repeated force of the springer going up and down. luckly I had my neck all the way down and tightened all the way or the front forks would have come apart on me.
I recommend once you get them set up properly you drill and put aset screw threw the head nut and fork then dremil the extra out of the center so the neck can fit back in . This should eliminate the problem.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
That's a new one Slowbait. The forks have no rebound dampening. I notice that the Felt Abraham Linkage forks use a rubber rebound bushing above the spring plate. Something like that should cushion the impact. Also, the last batch of Monarks I have seen removed one more machining step to cut costs. There was no milled slot in the steer tube threads for the tabed flat washer. Without that the 1"-24 nut will work itself loose which could then cause the problem you ran into. These forks now require even more work to make right.

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
Mine are actually originals. And I put a 1/2" rubber washer to dampen the impact. Also heavy braking will also apply pressure in the other direction as well . So bumps push up ,brakes pull down.

Last edited:

charliechaindrive

Sep 3, 2011
minnesota
Yea I got a pair of monark forks from 1948 and they hold up alright but once in a while they need a squirt of liquid wrench and I think a person can buy new rubber bumpers cause the ones I got are near the end of their rope

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I think it needs to be stressed here that the forks you're talking about in the original post are original 1950's Monark forks! (not the new ones that many vendors sell.)