The Next Venice Chopper

GoldenMotor.com

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Here's my next personal bike to replace "The Bomber".
It's a Schwinn 5-speed, it's still in the building stage, but I wanted to put up some pics of it.
I laced the front wheel myself, & it came out pretty darn straight!!!
It's gonna have a old skool Sting Ray 5-speed stick shift on it...
I'll post more pics as it comes together.

Last edited:

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Nice looking motored bike VB. I could see a trip to the Chiropractor if I was to ride something like that very much. I like those mechanical discs. Can't wait to see the finished product....................................

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I think their shift kits are awsome!
But the lack of engine braking just doesn't feel right to me...
I'm still trying to figure out a way to have both! :D

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
I think if you get rid of the rear freewheel and lock it down with a single speed or "track cog" you may be able to get your engine braking. Just don't know how an internal hub tranny will like engine braking. Won't know till you give it a shot.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Way cool! How did you mount the disk caliper to the fork? Did you drill holes into the back of the fork leg and do a post mount?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Man VB, you do nice work!

Took me a bit but awesome shifter. Any links or pointers to where to get one? Frees up bar real estate and is absolute. (not a fan of the lil twist ones)Win/win, big time.

watch out for stem failure :(
turbo's apes were a lot lower than yours
I was wondering as well. Just want you safe bud.

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Ok... to answer all these questions in a row...

Yes, I mounted the caliper bracket to the fork by drilling & bolting it to the fork leg.

The shifter is from a 60's 5-speed Sting Ray... look in little bike shops for them, or on ebay. $50 - $100 is about average for a nice one.

I think turbo's stem failure was the result of a bad stem & not because of the apes! The old Schwinn stems are VERY SOLID! (I've never seen any stem break like that.)