My First Build

GoldenMotor.com

iowaguy

Jun 30, 2011
iowa
Hello All -

I just started my first build yesterday! figured i would start out with something simple so I got a cheapo Schwinn cruiser from target and a Skyhawk 66cc kit. So far I have only mounted the engine and rear sprocket, both went on pretty smooth (few minor hiccups) - in the picture below I didnt have the tank mounted but wanted to get an idea of how it would sit (getting painted and pinstriped to match the bike tonight). I will keep everyone updated on the build progress/process and welcome any tips/tricks/add ons/etc!

inked1974

Apr 11, 2011
Palo, Iowa
welcome to the forum! nice to see an Iowa guy join the group. I am in Cedar rapids. I am sure you will be warned about the fenders BUT let me tell you from first hand experience. Take the fenders off or beef up the fender braces a ton! the cheaper bikes have poor quality fenders and will break off at one time or another. My back fender came off while riding at about 20mph. I did not hit the ground but it was surely a ride! this is definetly the right place to come when you have questions. The folks on here ROCK and will most always lead you the right direction! again.... Welcome

iowaguy

Jun 30, 2011
iowa
Hey thanks inked - I am in Des Moines, but have tons of family and friends in CR and get there quite a bit (and am from Eastern Iowa originally).

Thanks for the tip on the fenders, was on the fence whether or not i wanted to keep them or not so that helps with the decision! I have seen a few people mention adding a front brake and that coasters were not very reliable, but havent ever ridden one yet so am pretty clueless!

inked1974

Apr 11, 2011
Palo, Iowa
oh TRUST me!!!! you want the best brake set up that you can afford to put on. I am working on that myself now. I too have only a coaster brake and it takes me half a block to stop comfortably. I tried the hard stop ONE time and was of course on a bit of gravel. needless to say, i ate it. hit me up if you are ever in town. I would gladly help on your build or go for a cruise.

iowaguy

Jun 30, 2011
iowa
After reading quite a few posts on here and checking out everyone's pics I think I am for sure dumping the fenders and adding a front brake... Itching to get back out to the garage and keep going but the heat has been crazy (as I am sure you know) - I would also really like to get a custom tank made to fit under the top tube but don't really known anyone who does this here, you wouldn't happen to know anyone in cr that could make this happen do you?

In will for sure hit you up next time I am in cr and would love to bounce some ideas off you for the build!

iowaguy

Jun 30, 2011
iowa
Hey oldguy387

That is great to hear and would love to see pictures, did you take the fenders off and add additional brakes at all? Those are the two things have been going back and forth on right now. Looking ahead I am thinking I will look for a throttle grip and get a custom tank made

iowaguy

Jun 30, 2011
iowa
It only took a year but I rode my first build last night... got started on this build last july then had a baby, switched jobs, started and finished a mustang project, and moved across the state... but here it is! This was the very first fire of the motor and ride so you can tell from the audio that it is a little doggy, but after an hour or so it was running awesome! Still have to paint the tank and hide/re-route some wires

http://youtu.be/q67Yy8dORqY