Chain Tensioner - Sick bike parts .com

GoldenMotor.com
Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
I honestly couldn't tell you. I don't use my chain guard, ever. See, I know it's meant to prevent clothing and stuff from getting jammed into your chain, and it's also to save your leg should the chain snap, however, in my personal experience, the chain guard would have killed me if I had used it on a number of occasions. Just recently, with this new beach cruiser and 80cc chrome kit from boygofast, and also just after installing the spring loaded tensioner, I was riding at like 40km/h, in the turning lane, with cars to the right, behind, and oncoming. (I was in middle of road on the yellow line approaching a downhill left hand turn) I installed my master link clip in the wrong direction, and forgot to correct it, because of my own wrong installation, at that moment, the clip was kicked off by the new chain tensioner, and my chain came apart, jamming in the engine sprocket, stopping the engine instantly. Because the chain guard was not on, and the chain broke at the top, the chain was able to pop off of the rear sprocket, and I just coasted safely. If the chain guard was on, it would have kept the chain on the sprocket by providing something to hit/bounce off of, and my rear wheel would have locked. I would have been seriously hurt, if not killed. I got very lucky, it's amazing how the smallest little error, or factor, can make or break your life on these bikes. Ride safe guys!

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I'm new to this stuff wich way does the master link clip go . thanks wayne
Master links go in relation to which direction the chain moves. The open clip portion < should be like this if it were positioned on top. If your master link drags it stays attached. If you face it backwards the first times it drags against something it will unclip itself.

Tmoney

Apr 28, 2011
california
Hey man. I just got my spring loaded tensor this weekend but I have been having trouble getting it just right. every time I try to adjust for the right amount of tension the top of my chain wants to rub against the bottom where the idler wheel meets the chain. any advice on how to fix this?

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Yes look at your chain closely you may be able to shorten it a link. With the chain just a little shorter alleviating this.