cns carb spacer

GoldenMotor.com

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I dunno. I just know as soon as this next kit comes in..that is one of the many things that I will immediately be tossing in the trash.. I also intend to make myself a spring loaded tensioner since this biek will be seeing some trails and offroad abuse. It should be fairly easy to make one like this.

Spring Loaded Chain Tensioner for Gas Motorized Bicycle Plans | All Parts | Parts for Gas Powered Bicycle Motor Kits | Live Fast Motors - Gas Motorized Bicycles and Gas Powered Bicycle Motors

All I have to do is cut up the tensioner that comes with the kit. Cut out a third piece of metal to make the middle pieces...Flip the wheel. Drill some holes and bolt it all together. It may cost me 3-4 bucks for a spring and bolts...
I still have some mod'ing to do on my tensioner as well. I am really close to being able to run the bike without the tensioner, so I am going to try and reposition the engine a bit to take the slack out of the chain and see if I can do away with it all together.
If that doesnt work out I was planning on making a spring loaded tensioner, but I've been thinking about going at it a bit different. I'm thinking about using a torsion spring aroung a flange bearing instead of a spring pulling downward like that unit....

Last edited:

njyork42

Apr 26, 2011
Cookeville, TN
I still have some mod'ing to do on my tensioner as well. I am really close to being able to run the bike without the tensioner, so I am going to try and reposition the engine a bit to take the slack out of the chain and see if I can do away with it all together.
If that doesnt work out I was planning on making a spring loaded tensioner, but I've been thinking about going at it a bit different. I'm thinking about using a torsion spring aroung a flange bearing instead of a spring pulling downward like that unit....
I considered something like that, and couldn't think of exactly how to make it work well... Got a picture of your idea? I am sure it would take up much less room. I have seen similar setups on this website, but don't remember where.

Last edited:

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I considered something like that, and couldn't think of exactly how to make it work well... Got a picture of your idea? I am sure it would take up much less room. I have seen similar setups on this website, but don't remember where.
I haven't really started working out the finer details yet, but was planning on putting a flange bearing on the outside of the base section of the bracket (that mounts to the bike frame), the top section (with the tensioner/roller) would bolt through the flange bearing with a spacer (similar to the spacer under the roller). A tortion spring would wrap around the spacer, one end of the spring would anchor into a hole on the base, the other end will anchor into a hole on the roller section. If you have ever taken apart a V-brake, think about the spring that is in there to open the brake, this is the same basic concept I was planning to work with except much larger.....

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I threw together a quick diagram of the basic design I was thinking about using. Nothing is to size etc, just a rough diagram to convey my ideas....
I haven't moved yet cause I am still brainstorming ideas to allow rotational adjustment of the roller to match the chain angle better.

Attachments

Last edited:

njyork42

Apr 26, 2011
Cookeville, TN
Well.. I am about to try and make one as I just got the motor in the day before yesterday and got it together and running yesterday.. here is the new ride.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Well.. I am about to try and make one as I just got the motor in the day before yesterday and got it together and running yesterday.. here is the new ride.
Poking around a bit for parts I've found a decent flange or pillow bearing is gonna cost at least $10, and I wanted to replace the stock roller with something better, which will require another $10 bearing... So cost could become an issue, but I bet the ride would be nice...
I am gonna try and poke around a bit and see if maybe I can salvage some bearing somewhere for the project, or maybe find something I can cannibalize.....
I'd be interested to hear how things work out for you...

Last edited:

njyork42

Apr 26, 2011
Cookeville, TN
I haven't got to fool with it any more yet as my real motorcycle has needed some work and I still have to swap out a chain and sprockets on my girls ninja...but I'll let you know what I come up with..This one isn't staying...thats for sure..