Found an old Fying O. How can I motorize this thing?

GoldenMotor.com

benutne

Apr 22, 2011
Spfd
So I found this at an antique shop the other day. Picked it up for $20. Think I can slap a motor on this bad boy without much work? Either way I'm going to be fixing it up with some modern upgrades (like brakes...its a fixie, lol) and a new coat of paint.

What do you guys think?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Depends on what mounting style you want to go with. An in-frame Chinese 2 stroke on a girl's step through frame can be a challenge, but it has been done.
Rack mounted chain or friction drive is another alternative but it would sure mess up the lines of that old classic and you'd loose the rear fender.
Maybe save that one; restore it, sell it and use the proceeds to build another bike? I have an 80s vintage cruiser, step through frame that is hanging from my garage ceiling. It'll never see a motor but someday it might be worth a few bucks.
Just my outloook.
Tom

benutne

Apr 22, 2011
Spfd
Out of curiosity, how would one mount a HT motor on this bike? I suppose a lot of fabrication would go into such a mount.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
A china girl will fit in there OK with some fussing. You would probably have to change the pedal crank to something later which would be a little wider and give pedal clearance. Might be OK at is. A tank could go behind the seat. That said, it is pushing things as the bike is not just asking for a motor, as some frames are. It is in nice shape, a little cleaning up and it would be a nice pedal bike. Or put a motor in it that's what you want. Some older step throughs have a lower upper tube, which means the motor is lower in the frame. Yours is more like newer girls bikes in that the upper tube does not sweep down low. I've done three step through cruisers; a couple of 60's Schwinn Americans and a 39 Elgin.
SB

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
that bike's not as old as you think. it's mid 70's. you can tell by the reflectors on the pedals. the Consumer Products Safety Commission made them mandatory on all US bikes in 1976.

20 bucks was a good deal for it, but re-selling it you'd be lucky to get 60. there's not much demand for ladies cruisers, especially 70's and newer ones.

from the looks of it, it has some quality parts on it, mostly Wald stuff, like the bars, stem, cranks, etc, but it's a department store bike, and not really the best option for motorizing.

it's the perfect pub cruiser though...:)

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
The problem with doing a womans bike is location of the sparke plug when you stand over the bike with it running! zptzpt

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
The problem with doing a womans bike is location of the spark plug when you stand over the bike with it running! zptzpt

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Great buy for 20 bucks. A china girl will fit with some tinkering. You will need to mount the fuel tank on a rear cargo rack. You could also make a fake top tube from PVC, paint to match, and bolt the tank to it.
There are many good rear rack mount kits available.
There are also chinese Solex kits available for the front wheel.

benutne

Apr 22, 2011
Spfd
Well, I've decided I'm just going to modernize it a bit and let my wife ride it around. Brakes (if I can), a freewheel, and a new coat of paint. Perhaps a pannier or rear rack for hauling stuff.