ladies Hiawatha to board track conversion

GoldenMotor.com

povertyflats

May 22, 2010
near Salina Kansas
Hello friends, I have finally been riding my motorized bikes again. We have been swamped all winter working on hot rod (car) engines and never built any new bikes until now. We took a balloon tire ladies Hiawatha 26 inch bike and removed the top bar of the drop loop and and my helper Adam fabricated his own upper frame rails. Used one of those cheap springer forks that I bought on Ebay and it seems to work good so far. And like most of my bikes this one will be powered by an old American made Briggs and Stratton engine with Whizzer style belt drive. Not going to use this seat or handlebars but these photos will give you the general idea of how it will look. My bikes do not have pedals because that's just not what I want. Frame will be powder coated satin black or red. If I go red the tires will be white. Your opinions are welcome here. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

Last edited:

povertyflats

May 22, 2010
near Salina Kansas
It will have a motorcycle style kickstand and not sure which kind of gas tank I am using yet. I have a real cool old seat and it will be set back farther and lowered. Going to a big swap meet in Wisconsin next week and will be looking for some different handlebars.

Attachments

Last edited:

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I agree..nice job. Looking forward to following this. I also think that we will see more of these conversions.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I have a couple questions about that frame. Did you alter (bend) the front down tube any?
Do you have any idea what year that is? I ask because last summer I was given a 1939 Ladies Hiawatha complete with fenders, chain guard and seat, but to my eye the front down tube on yours has more of a curve to it. Just wondering, but I am looking at pictures of mine with fresh eyes thanks to the magic you have performed on yours. I was impressed with how heavy the frame is and how stout th fenders are. It also has the 7 seat post. Cool bike.
SB

povertyflats

May 22, 2010
near Salina Kansas
No, Adam didn't alter the original lower frame bar. and today I ordered two powder coated red rims and two fat frank creme tires. so, It will be a red bike. and no, I don't know what year it is. I know it is very old. Heck, I know very little about bikes to be honest.

povertyflats

May 22, 2010
near Salina Kansas
not much new to report on this project but I did get my new red powder coated rims and Fat Frank Creme tires and have the Whizzer style sheave mounted up. We are using two front rims since we don't need rear sprockets or drum brakes.

Attachments

Last edited:

povertyflats

May 22, 2010
near Salina Kansas
Adam is going to build a custom gas tank to go between the upper bars and mount the engine as low as possible. There will be a clutch on the Briggs engine which will drive a jackshaft thru the old pedal hole and then a small pulley to power the big drive pulley or sheave on the back rim. Does that make sense? In other words it will be fast and safer than a chain drive. Will mount some foot pegs too.

tomgndallas

Sep 19, 2010
Dallas, TX
take any before pics? i am just curious as there seem to be a boatload of ladies bikes, and honestly if you get down to it, if you are replacing the forks, the top bars, and maybe even stretching the rear, does it matter if the original frame is a men's straight bar? That is where my focus has been of late but I have been thinking that the ladies have a nice lower rail that can be improved on, as long as it is a steel frame, shoot, good to go and can get a great price on flea bay..

what is your wheel base now that you have modded it? that is one **** of a rake you seem to have on the forks, looks dangerously fun!!

I am going the HF 6.5 greyhound route here, this thing will scream when i get her done, just no time soon...haha...

I did make the decision to finish my 450 project and sell it to get money for the boardie and for a beater for the wife. She is just learning to drive at 29...fill in the blanks for yourself.

povertyflats

May 22, 2010
near Salina Kansas
Tom, I am not sure how it will handle with that extreme rake but I love the look. I guess if it is too dangerous, then it can just become a display item. I have other bikes I can ride. Will measure the wheelbase for you.