cyclone replibike

GoldenMotor.com

Goldy

Oct 3, 2010
Nova Scotia
Hi again,
Just finished the cyclone project (Oct 01)...it's been in my head for a very long time and the build was started almost a year ago. Picking away between 'real' jobs, I started with a 40's era Sunshine bicycle, added a 5hp Briggs engine, centrifugal clutch and chain drive. The fuel tank is really a fiberglass cover that conceals the actual fuel tank underneath (Its made out of a couple of sections of large diameter copper tubing). Two sets of caliper brakes on the rear wheel to make it stop (unlike the real deal, this one has a clutch AND brakes). This chain drive affair works a lot better than the belt drive one I finished a couple of months ago, much more power gets to the rear wheel. More 'user friendly' and the thing will climb up the side of a house...I haven't seen a hill yet where it can't pull away from a dead stop and accelerate on the way up. With the current gearing, the top speed is about 55kph, If the drive ratio were raised, I'm sure it could pull 80kph, but self preservation prevents me from wanting to go that fast on a bicycle...I'm going to leave well enough alone.

Attachments

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Looking at you setup makes me think that someone needs to come up with a Briggs head that has the fins going the other way. :D

Goldy

Oct 3, 2010
Nova Scotia
When the engine is cold I start it with a pull cord...no big deal, it usually goes on the first tug. When it's warmed up or even on a nice sunny day it can easily be started by giving the flywheel a flip with the toe of your boot.
I have given some thought to removing the fins and welding on a 'vintage' looking set in the right direction...who knows, maybe on the next build.

Goldy

Oct 3, 2010
Nova Scotia
I was saving that shifter to use if I got stuck for a choke lever on any of the Brit. motorbikes I work on, but it found a good home on this bicycle as a choke lever.

Goldy

Oct 3, 2010
Nova Scotia
Thanks for the encouragement guys...picked up another two old bicycles this morning for $30.00...a bloody steal! Two old bikes + 5HP B&S engines = at least one winter project to keep me busy. I'm thinking about a 1914 BSA...here we go again.

Goldy

Oct 3, 2010
Nova Scotia
I'm using a #40/ 40 tooth steel sprocket on the primary drive side machined to fit a flanged shaft which is machined from 313 stainless, fifteen tooth #40 sprocket on the other side is held in place by a 1/4" shear pin and feeds to a 40 tooth sprocket on the rear wheel. Shaft is supported by two sealed ball bearings.