Vintage Airman

GoldenMotor.com

TheJadedFool

Jul 26, 2010
Northern Wisconsin
Ok!! Got the motor mounted... I like the back mount... but the front mount will be redone this winter... I think I will find someone to weld a mount on for me... But the motor is in there nice and solid...

Because of the placement of the motor I now need to customize the exhaust... So I either heat the pipe and tweak it out just a hair or put in a spacer between the exhaust and the motor...

Gonna try to get the sprocket on the back tonight and get the exhaust on... Hope to be driving her this weekend!!

Here is a couple pics of my mounts...

Peace

David

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Ok!! Got the motor mounted... I like the back mount... but the front mount will be redone this winter... I think I will find someone to weld a mount on for me... But the motor is in there nice and solid...

Because of the placement of the motor I now need to customize the exhaust... So I either heat the pipe and tweak it out just a hair or put in a spacer between the exhaust and the motor...

Gonna try to get the sprocket on the back tonight and get the exhaust on... Hope to be driving her this weekend!!

Here is a couple pics of my mounts...

Peace

David
A pretty simple solution would be to stack two of the rear mounts one against the other with longer studs. That should put the front mount right up against the frame. What you have may well work, I don't know, as there are more than one or two ways of doing something that works. I doubt you'll need to weld a mount, though. Is the pedal running into the motor.. just needs a bit more room? One way is to bend it as you said. Another is to use a wider pedal crank. Super wide ones can be purchased. A one piece crank from a newer, foreign born bike is slightly wider and may be enough to clear the motor. Another approach is to use a shorter pedal arm and go under the motor, such as finding a donor from a smaller bike. Good luck this weekend...
SB

TheJadedFool

Jul 26, 2010
Northern Wisconsin
Hey Silverbear

No... the pedals are good... It is the exhaust... I cannot tighten it down cuz the frame is keeping me from seating the exhaust correctly to the engine... due to the mounting of the engine... I only need to move it about a quarter inch so I am thinking that just heating the exhaust pipe and bending it out and in just a hair to clear the frame... or I may just customize it... since i have an extra straight pipe or a header pipe he called it... that the previous owner of the kit bought from a vendor for performance racing go-carts...

I will keep ya posted....

Peace

David

TheJadedFool

Jul 26, 2010
Northern Wisconsin
SHE LIVES!!

I still have a lot of work to do... Need to clean up the wiring... and a lot of little tweaks... But she is up and running...

WOW!! Compared to the first bike with the 20" rear wheel... HUGE DIFFERENCE... She goes like the wind now... I haven't even gotten her to full throttle since I am still breakin in the motor...

He is a pic of her as of this mornin!

Peace

David

Attachments

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Good deal... nothing like the first time one fires up on a new ride and off you go! Stay safe. Bike looks good, but really does want an in frame tank, doesn't it? Cold up this way since yesterday, like October. Brrrr, almost lit a fire in the wood stove this morning.
SB

TheJadedFool

Jul 26, 2010
Northern Wisconsin
Morning Silverbear...

You are correct... she is needing a frame tank... and a laid back seat post... But she will get both next summer =) Along with a new paint job and some reworked motor mounts... I am gonna get the bugs worked out of this build and then ride her for the rest of the season as is...

Come spring she will get a complete rebuild...

It is pretty cool here as well... Might have to bring my winter jacket when I come up there... =)

Peace

David

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
it is looking very good!
Be careful with that chain tensioner, and don't forget to strap that brake arm to the chain stay.
I would hate to hear that your ride rebelled against you.

TheJadedFool

Jul 26, 2010
Northern Wisconsin
Hey GearNut,

The brake arm is getting locked down tonight... and I am workin on a safer setup for the tensioner... I think I will move the tensioner back and then run a longer piece of metal from the lower to upper to secure it...

Thanx for the advice =)

Peace

David

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Sounds like the bike is coming along. Yes, there's certainly plenty of down time in the north country for building once the snow comes and it does tend to linger for way too long. While it's riding time, ride! There is already a hint of fall in the air here. A couple mornings I debated lightning a fire to take off the night's chill. Let me know when you plan to come this way. I plan to leave around the 10th of September for the east coast, which I hate to do in a way. I love September and the warmer days in October here in the northland. I love riding to the state park when no campers are there anymore, smooth forest roads with nobody on them but me, riding through newly fallen leaves which kick up behind me as I pass... see a deer of fox along the road. Life is good. But this year I'll do my fall riding in Maryland, which also has it leaves and winter comes on a bit later. Either way, we gotta ride our bikes while we can!
SB

TheJadedFool

Jul 26, 2010
Northern Wisconsin
Hey Silverbear...

I am thinking the first weekend in Sept... Hope to come up on the 3rd and head home on the 5th...

Does that work for you?? I am not sure if I am coming by myself or if I am bringing my wife and daughter... I will let ya know =)

Looking forward to gettin up there...

Peace

David

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hey Silverbear...

I am thinking the first weekend in Sept... Hope to come up on the 3rd and head home on the 5th...

Does that work for you?? I am not sure if I am coming by myself or if I am bringing my wife and daughter... I will let ya know =)

Looking forward to gettin up there...

Peace

David
Sounds good to me! Great time of year and most of the tourists are gone. Someday we're going to have a summer or early fall rally up here. September might be best since the state park is still open but pretty emptied out of tourists. No bugs to get in your teeth while motoring, either. We could call it the Bearhead Run. Think about it. I think some of the southern Minnesota boys might be interested and there are also some forum members further north, even Thunder Bay, Ontario and forum members into Wisconsin who might come, partly for biking and partly for fishing. Few places are a better destination with a fresh water lake, sandy beach, great riding and town 12 miles away for those who want to eat out and wives who like to shop for tourist do dahs. This rally I'm going to in Delaware has me fired up and reading about the Central PA ride made me wish for something like that. When you come up maybe we can talk about it.
SB

TheJadedFool

Jul 26, 2010
Northern Wisconsin
Hey SB... I cannot wait... I think a Up North Rally would be great!!

To ALL...

Well here she is... At least this is how I am gonna run her the rest of this season... I am going to add a couple things yet... a lay back seat post... and a set of lights... B ut for the most part she is ready...

I took a 4 mile ride and she is cruising nicely... motor is running smooth... I do need to work on the vibration... I have read some posts and plan on trying a few things...

Peace...

David

Attachments