2-Cycle Friction Drive Feasible??

GoldenMotor.com

twowheeledfox

Oct 21, 2009
Houston TX
40cc 2 Cycle Gas Motor NEW Replacement ie Bicycle Moped : eBay Motors (item 260586423556 end time May-15-10 00:31:24 PDT)

Saw this on ebay while browsing for my 4-stroke build. Looks like it would make a great friction drive for my mountain bike. Anybody know how it could be mounted, and/or what would need to be purchased or done to get a drive roller on it?? I would be looking for fairly easy removal (hence the friction drive) and light weight because my mountain bike is always used as a bicycle and is picked up often, not like my 2-stroke which is a dedicated motorbike. Just want a little assist for cruising at 15mph or so.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
All the ones that I have seen or heard of have a small 4 to 1 reduction box on them.
This is in reference to the Chinese variety such as that engine you showed.

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL
Just want a little assist for cruising at 15mph or so.
Yeah. That's just what I thought three years ago when I put a 25cc motor on my bike. Instead of assisting me, the motor does almost all the work; sometimes I have to assist the motor. And the cruising speed is a good 25 on flat ground, no wind.

So that motor should definitely do what you want. You have many different options to get it on your bike. Look into the rack-mount friction-drive setups on this site. That motor looks like others I have seen. Or you can check out my setup if you plan to make a lot of parts yourself.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Two-cycle engines on friction drive is very practical.

That engine looks to be a Mitsubishi clone, which sometimes came with a 5:1 gearbox.. I have used that 3-spring clutch in high-powered engines. It is velvet-smooth.

That engine should bolt directly onto all popular engine kits, chain, belt and friction style.