Install problems

GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa
I have the Motor on the new frame and It's only on by 2 bolts and they are reinforced by cold weld stuff and I have the 3rd bolt with cold weld as well. I don't know if this will be enough to hold the motor safety but I will keep a eye on it.

Anyway, i found out the throttle cable has to much slack and I cannot move the throttle at all. I can't figure out how to remove the slack. I tried ajusting it where it goes into the carb and into the throttle grip itself..

Suggestions anyone ?:confused:

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa
I still have a Titanium Nitride Coated Drill bit and a punch as a back up in case the cold weld doesn't hold out and I need to get the snapped bolt out.

The motor is a CH80 Motor.

Here is pic of what the motor like mine looks like.

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
On your front or rear mount? Is this what you did?

Some dealers say it will work fine. But I don't like. I would rather drill a hole in the frame then use epoxy. You could also use a muffler clamp to avoid drilling a hole in the frame.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Are you saying the engine is mounted with three out of four of the studs/nuts? That won't work for long.
Get an EZ out and remove the broken stud, you will be happy you did.

How do you know the cable has too much slack if you can't turn it?

I'm guessing it's a new install? The second kit I bought, I had to do considerable sanding of the throttle drum (plasitc part that goes over the handlebar), and in addition to that, when I tightened it all down it still bound up. I took it back apart and cleaned of some flash from the plastic and paid close attention when I screwed it back together, and it worked fine.

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa
Are you saying the engine is mounted with three out of four of the studs/nuts? That won't work for long.
Get an EZ out and remove the broken stud, you will be happy you did.

How do you know the cable has too much slack if you can't turn it?

I'm guessing it's a new install? The second kit I bought, I had to do considerable sanding of the throttle drum (plasitc part that goes over the handlebar), and in addition to that, when I tightened it all down it still bound up. I took it back apart and cleaned of some flash from the plastic and paid close attention when I screwed it back together, and it worked fine.
Because the cable comes out of the housing on either end of the cable. Either on the end of the carb or the end going into the throttle.

We already tried to drill into the screw and the drill barely made a dent in it. I don't know if the bit was not strong enough or what was the case.

I can take a pic of the cable slack and how we cold welded the bike.

I do have a Center punch and that drill bit I mentioned before along with a screw extractor drill bit.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Get a brand new drill. That way you know it will be sharp. Those studs are real soft and drill really easy. And do like Norm said if you can find a bit that turns left to drill you may not even need the ease out. But they may be hard to find...........................

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
if you still can't get that bolt out, take the motor to a machine shop, auto shop, motorcycle shop, lawnmower shop, heck even Ace Hardware might be able to do it. Probably would only cost a few bucks. Even if they can't get it out, they ought to be able to drill out the whole thing and put in a helicoil for just a little bit more cash.

I really wouldn't trust that cold weld stuff for anything structural like this.

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa
If I where to buy a new drill that would do the job then I might as well just throw this motor out and get a new one...I don't have a car or a truck so I can't just bring it to a auto shop or anything very easy.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I guess you could try attaching a smaller diameter bolt to the broken stud with some jbweld or whatever and see if you can unscrew it like that. Just be careful to only get it on the stud, not the motor.

all else fails, keep tryin with that drill I guess.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
If I where to buy a new drill that would do the job then I might as well just throw this motor out and get a new one...I don't have a car or a truck so I can't just bring it to a auto shop or anything very easy.
ARE YOU KIDDING ME? A good drill bit is a couple of dollars....from the sound of it you bought one of those dollar store "Titanium coated" drill bits that are worthless. The studs in these engines are made of a really crappy soft metal and a general purpose bit will drill through them.

I would be a good idea to center punch it first to get a good straight start.

Now, about that cable.....

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I think moped misunderstood, I think he thought a new "drill" not a new "drill bit"....Yes that metal is very soft and not too bad to drill.

Moped...some drill's have a forward and a reverse.. are you sure the drill is in the forward position? If you got a left hand drill bit, then you want it in the reverse position.
:ride2:

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa
I still have to get around to finishing the install on the new frame that has my CH80 motor kit on it.. I have to make the chain longer as the frame is longer then the previous bike and needs extra links added to it..

I finally got the the ebay motor one all hooked up and everything and only for it not to start ? Was I shocked ? Nope. Not all. I don't know what it's issues was this time. I could not even move the pedal with all my effort to check for spark. When I realized how much time and effort went into this junk I snapped and lost it. I calmy dismantle the motor from the frame. I then took whatever parts I thought I could use on the other motor. Then I picked it up and just smashed the crap out of it against the big rock in the front yard till it was pretty beat up..

Do I regret it ? Not all. That ebay motor gave me nothing but hassle more then it did good for me..Here are some pictures of it..

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Here's some selected comments from the peanut gallery:

1) Dude - dig the mods!

2) Wow, does that make it faster?

3) Norman could fix that!

4) Man, your engine fell out.

5) Crappy Chinese metallurgy.

6) I told you not to run it at 100:1

7) Is that thing street legal?

Sorry couldn't resist. :D I've felt the same way, but medication keeps me from acting on the little voices.............rotfl

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa
I guess you won't be having any more "Install problems" will you?
rotfl
Not with that one. I rather just get another Ebay kit and start over. I may be able to get it going with very little to no help at all. I've learned enough about them now that I could possible do a install on my own.

I still got my CH80 motor I wanna get going again.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Well I see someone finally did what I had thought of many, many times.rotfl
NO I don't think I can fix that one but there is a few parts that look like they need another hit with a big Friggen hammer.rotfl they are still twitching I seen one move!
Does it run better now?
Were the neighbors watching?
now you've done it.
now go sit down and say "I will control my emotions and not my emotions control me"
Hey that one bolt is loose thats why it won't start hope that helps. rotfl

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.