Next Progect,Codename - "I Don't Know"

GoldenMotor.com

63galaxie

Apr 20, 2010
ky
sweet trike shadow wish someone would give me stuff i could use lol cant wait to see how it looks finished!!!!!!!!!!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
CT ride is this Sunday. Ya have to have Misty's ride up an running. Just say'in. (lol, put the wrench down!)

wildemere

Feb 12, 2008
Newcastle
Yes, just count the input revs compared to output revs.

That hub is a Shimano model 3s.

2nd is 1:1, 1st is 25% reduction and 3rd is 33% overdrive.

Visit Hubstripping or Sheldon Brown for heaps more detail.

They are not that good under engine power unless its perfectly setup and in good mechanical condition.

shadowsaidhe

Apr 15, 2010
maine
wildemere Thank you very much. i have a 3 1/2hp chainsaw that i was thinking about matching up w/ that trike. do you think that is to much for that old hub?

wildemere

Feb 12, 2008
Newcastle
I think front wheel friction drive would be best for that old thing if using a saw motor. Be the easiest way.

Otherwise it would have to be a HT with a jackshaft to the front pedals, unless you can figure out a way to mount a 40t sprocket to the rear end somewhere.

That rear end is somewhat complicated with 3 freewheels and boxed design.

Be a shame to ruin it with engine power.

A mount in the rear rack might work also.

Maybe someone else has an idea.

shadowsaidhe

Apr 15, 2010
maine
Well I need to many parts for the trike right now so it has been postponed indefinitely. BUT i did get a replacement motor(blower/vac) for the ol lady's bike at a yard sale for $3. and the coolest yard sale find was: a "BIG MO" chopper bike for $10. so i think Big mo will be my new project now.