Longer drive chains?

GoldenMotor.com

Deadend

Aug 19, 2009
ca
Im just about done ( finally! ) with my first build ever but the drive chain is too small.

Suggestions? I've done the "search" and most recommend a tractor supply shop - problem is there isnt one for about 60miles.

Is there a chain offered by any vendors here that would match the 80cc china kit drive chain ? Thanks in advance

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Have you tried Ace Hardware or a Grainger Supply? They carry #41 chain which is a good replacement for the kit supplied #415 chain. It is usually a better quality too. If you're set on using the kit style chain most of the vendors/sponsors here will have it. You'll be ahead if you also purchase a good quality chain breaker, or if you do like many, just grind off the pins and punch them out. To shorten a roller chain you'll need to remove two links to use a standard master link or one link if you use what is called an offset link. Hope this helps get you on the road.
Tom

Deadend

Aug 19, 2009
ca
Have you tried Ace Hardware or a Grainger Supply? They carry #41 chain which is a good replacement for the kit supplied #415 chain. It is usually a better quality too. If you're set on using the kit style chain most of the vendors/sponsors here will have it. You'll be ahead if you also purchase a good quality chain breaker, or if you do like many, just grind off the pins and punch them out. To shorten a roller chain you'll need to remove two links to use a standard master link or one link if you use what is called an offset link. Hope this helps get you on the road.
Tom
hey there - yeah i have a motorcycle breaker, pretty sure that would work . We do have an Ace here (and a Grainger maybe) - thanks !