wont start and weird nois

GoldenMotor.com

radrob

May 2, 2009
Tacoma Washington
finished the build last week. rode it around the neighborhood on 4 different occasions. made some adjustments. went for a 6 or 7 mile ride. its first real ride. all was good for the first 4 or so miles. pulling a long mile or so grade it started running slow so we decided to give it a rest to cool down and had a hard time getting it to shut off. had to push the button numorus times befor it actualy killed the motor.. 20 minutes later we go to ride the rest of the way home and now it wont start.
after trying a few times to get it to run the tone of the compression changed to more of a blowing sound. i thought the sparkplug had come out but it was fine? now the tone will change back and forth from sounding normal to sounding like it lost compression and is blowing out somwere? the head and cylinder gaskets look clean and intact? mabey a broken ring??

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Well - first off I'd change that kill switch out with something that works lol, the stock ones are known to be junk - that alone will cause you trouble.

Once you get a new & better switch - you may find it was the source of your probs, others have found this to be the case with theirs.

You can also bypass the switch entirely and use the choke to shut down, just to diagnose if the switch is indeed messin' with you - once you've eliminated the kill switch problem, get back to us with how yer bike is doin' ;)

Good luck man, hope that's all it is!

radrob

May 2, 2009
Tacoma Washington
i disconected the ground wire from the frame on the kill switch. still no start. and dont know about the new sound coming out the muffler. more of a wooshing sound than a pop pop pop pop.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Pop pop pop means it's trying to fire just the wooshing sound means there's no spark. Try completely disconnecting the kill switch, make sure the connections to the CDI are nice and tight (also make sure the white wire isn't shorting against anything) pull the plug, lay it on the head and walk the bike with the clutch engaged to see if you have spark.

If you have spark try the poor man's compression test, put your finger over the plug hole and see if you have compression while pushing the bike with the clutch engaged.