top cover removeal

GoldenMotor.com

olgraybeard

Sep 4, 2009
Eatonville, Wa
stihl 031av I'm trying to strip off as much unneeded stuff from engine, there is a piece of sheetsheet next to the cylinder head between the cylinder head and the top plate either for cooling or stopping heat transfer to top plate. I want to remove the top plate and leave the sheet metal, but I saw on another thread not to remove the plastic fairing (mine's metal) I'm thinking with the sheetmetal next to the cylinder the removal of top plate can't affect cooling. Anyone Know for sure or has anyone done this already.

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
i have a 4stroke , same kinda deal . the gastank on top of the motor , which i removed also had a tin between the tank and motor . i,m leaving it on , because it directs the air thru the fins . i am going to make a dummy finned head for looks to replace the cooling tin later . but you want to keep your engine as cool as you can . so if it looks like a cooling tin i would leave it on .

olgraybeard

Sep 4, 2009
Eatonville, Wa
don't mind the tin just wanted to get rid of the top cover so it doesn't look like a chain saw. Thanks I thought I knew what I was looking at just wanted to make sure.