clutch trouble

GoldenMotor.com

Hot Wheels

Jul 7, 2009
chicago
Need help ! I'm thinking I'm having clutch trouble, the motor won't turn over when I let out the clutch it just slips. I can turn the motor over by hand the piston goes up and down. when I tighten the clutch still slips but if I tighten to much the clutch stays in-gauged. :-||

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Is there any oil or grease in your clutch? If so, clean it thoroughly with carburetor cleaner before trying to adjust it. Go so far as to remove the little friction pads and clean each one to be sure the clutch is properly clean. Clean the outer pressure plate as well as the inner one too.
These clutches are a dry type, they do not put up with oil or grease very well at all.
It is a good idea however to lubricate the little ball bearings that live between the center of the clutch pad holder and the clutch hub. After dousing the clutch with cleaner, you do not want to risk damaging the bearings due to the spray cleaner washing out the bearing lube. I have read elsewhere on this forum to use white lithium grease in an aerosol can. A little bit of lithium will go a long ways. It is tricky to get the grease to go in between the hub and pad holder. I have read to squish the tip flat on the red straw that comes with the lithium grease. The flattened tip makes it easier to squirt the grease into the small gap.

Hot Wheels

Jul 7, 2009
chicago
Is there any oil or grease in your clutch? If so, clean it thoroughly with carburetor cleaner before trying to adjust it. Go so far as to remove the little friction pads and clean each one to be sure the clutch is properly clean. Clean the outer pressure plate as well as the inner one too.
These clutches are a dry type, they do not put up with oil or grease very well at all.
It is a good idea however to lubricate the little ball bearings that live between the center of the clutch pad holder and the clutch hub. After dousing the clutch with cleaner, you do not want to risk damaging the bearings due to the spray cleaner washing out the bearing lube. I have read elsewhere on this forum to use white lithium grease in an aerosol can. A little bit of lithium will go a long ways. It is tricky to get the grease to go in between the hub and pad holder. I have read to squish the tip flat on the red straw that comes with the lithium grease. The flattened tip makes it easier to squirt the grease into the small gap.
Thank you I will try cleaning the clutch.